National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Municipality of Fertőszentmiklós
Click to zoom

Fertőszentmiklós

(Győr-Moson-Sopron County)

The description of the coat of arms of the village:

The coat of arms had a shield shape. The drawings of the shield were based on pictures on historical stamps. The background was red and green, there was a tower with an open gate and a cock. The star was gold and the moon was silver. The open gates represented the agricultural village and freedom. The half moon reminds us of the Turkish period.

Location

„Fertő-Szent-Miklós-Szerdahely, is a large village in Kapuvár district of Sopron county. The village has 3035 Hungarian inhabitants, a railway station, a post office, a bank and a significant cow trade in 1891” /Pallas Nagy Lexikon-7-Bp. 1894/

Fertőszentmiklós is situated in the north-west of the Small Plain, precisely at the edge of the Győr basin. The village is 28 km far from Sopron along the highway no. 85. Due to its favourable geographical conditions it was inhabited in the ancient times. Lake Fertő and its coastal region, the marsh region of Hanság, the surrounding forests provided ample food for the settling people in every age.

History

During the excavations in the 20th century thousand years old relics were found. Based on these relics and those found in the Ikva valley, we know that the village had already been inhabited around 3500-2500 B.C. These village people were hunters and fishermen. The region was known by the army of the Roman Empire then it was reached by the migration of nations.

Fertőszentmiklós was two separate villages divided by the Ikva stream until the end of the 19th century. Szentmiklós is situated in the south from the Ikva and Szerdahely is situated in the west from the stream. The village has been using its name since 1906.

The eastern part of the village was mentioned as “Terra Neweg” in the documents of the Árpád era in 1228. The western part of the village was first mentioned in the documents as “Villa Sceredahel” in 1261. 50 years later the eastern part got a new name “esslesia S. Nicolai” in 1274. The reason of this change was the Tartar invasion in 1241/1242. Almost all of the inhabitants were killed and they were replaced by fishermen whose patron saint was St. Nicolaus. That is why first the church and later the village were called after the patron saint.

The main job of the inhabitants was agriculture in Fertőszentmiklós. It was first a serf village and it became a noble village. During the Middle Ages feudal landowners, later knights ruined the estates of the Kanizsai family. In 1535 Tamás Nádasdy married the 11- year-old Orsolya Kanizsai, who became the most powerful landowner of Transdanubia. The peaceful improvement was hindered by Turkish attacks.

Stamp, coat of arms, flag:

According to the documents in the Middle Age our village was mentioned as an

agricultural village at the end of the 15th century. On the first stamp there was a tower with an open gate and window with the legend: SIGILLUM S NICOLAUS. On the top of the tower there was a cock looking to the right and next to the tower there was a star, a half moon and the date: 1710. 28MM. The stamp can be found with the date 1579 as well.

There was a round stamp with the following legend: Sopron county Fertőszentmiklós village 1906. The above mentioned tower and the moon were silver, the star was gold, the top of the background was red and the bottom of the background was green.

Szerdahely, POSS. ZEREDAHEL 1324. On the stamp there was a plough looking to the right and a palm leaf on both sides. On the top of the stamp there was the initial SH and above it 17 67.20MM was written.

The village used the coat of arms until 1848. The association, which tries to make the village nicer, has been using this coat of arms on its stamp since 1987.

The flag

The colour of the flag is red and green and there is the coat of arms in the middle of the flag. Below the coat of arms the following title can be seen: FERTŐSZENTMIKLÓS.

Fertőszentmiklós today.

After the political changes the economy of the village changed. The private enterprises appeared in the industry, in trade and hospitality. There has been an airport for small aeroplanes since 1997 both for sports and travelling. Fertőszentmiklós is an important junction. It has significant traffic, which is due to the 3 crossing points (Sopron, Kópháza and Fertőd). The railway goes to three directions: Sopron, Győr and Pamhagen, so it is a border railway station, too.

The infrastructure of the village has been developing significantly since the end of the 1980s. A new primary school has been built and building sites have been formed for two streets. 90% of the houses have telephone and cable television. They have been heated with gas since the beginning of the 1990s. The drinking –water system and the sewerage system have been solved. The communal rubbish is transported to the suburb of the village where there is a EU conform storage place.

General information

The territory of the village is 3 939 m2 which belongs to the Region of the northwest of Transdanubia. The number of the inhabitants is 3744, there are 1340 houses in 33 streets.

The village manages public administration and local government tasks.