In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg)
The town was established by the conquering Magyar Gyarmat tribe in the triangle formed by the rivers Tisza, Szamos and Túr. The name of the locality crops up ni several early Latin manuscripts. In 1418, King Zsigmond raised the settlement to the rank of market town, and in 1436 it was bestowed on the Báthoris. (The dragon's teeth in the town's coat-of arms derive from this them.) During the Middle Ages Fehérgyarmat - despite pestilence, floods and fires - grew faster than the average, becoming the centre of the region. From the mid-l9th century it was a district county town, with a network of institutions and agricultural produce processing plants. In the wake of the 1920 Trianon Treaty, Fehérgyarmat became a border town, losing its role as a staging town on the way to Beregszász and Szatmár- németi. Development gathered pace after the Tisza valley flood of 1970, and following major rebuilding it regained its rank of town in 1979. The town is centred around Kossuth Square, with its Gothic-style church with wooden tower built ni 1486. It was constructed by Transylvanian voivode István Báthori on the proceeds of booty captured during the battle of Kenyérmező (1479). It has been part of the Reformed church from 1570 to the present day (with the exception of a brief period during the counter- Reformation). The tower rises 37,5 m, its nave is 35 m long. The great flood of 1970 is marked by a memorial - the work of László Szomor - which stands ni front of the church. The local park has a memorial raised ni 1896 recalling the call to arms of Lajos Kossuth made on this very spot ni 1848. The Roman Catholic church built in Baroque style in the early l9th century sits in the centre of town. In front one can see the statue of St. John Chrysos- tom (1810). There is plenty to see around Fehérgyarmat as well. The Classicist style Kende Mansion ni Cégénydányád is ringed by a beautiful arboretum; the late Gothic church at Nagyszekeres stands on an island surrounded by the rivers Gőgő and Szenke; the water mill in Túristvándi is still operational; the grave of poet Ferenc Kölcsey, who wrote the Anthem, lies in the Szatmárcseke cemetery noted for its wooden grave markers; and the Móricz house is in Tiszacsécse. For swimming and water sports, one has to go far to find somewhere better than the Tisza embankment at Kisar-Tivadar, and for those thinking of crossing the border into the Ukraine at Tiszabecs, or into Romania at Csengersima, Fehérgyarmat offers excellent accommodation and catering establishments.