National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village Etes
Click to zoom

Etes

(Nógrád county)

Shield vert erect, pierced flanchewise base pointed. On the sinister a beehive or. Field sable is party per bend by three rays or, starting from the point. Vert symbolises the natural beauty of the village. Field sable party per bend represents the coal mines and important mining activity of the village.

Rays or starting from the bottom represent the energy gained from the coal, the blessing of the coal. It actually crosses the border of the village, as the coal mined in Etes has been transported to other territories of Hungary as well.

Beehive or: Refers to the name of the family Méhi (méh meaning bee in Hungarian). This family owned the village for centuries. Records from the ottoman era mention that there has been an important apiary activity in the village. Besides the above mentioned it also symbolises – referring to the past, the present and to the future as well – the diligence of the villagers.

The Introduction of Etes

Etes is situated in the Northern part of Nógrád county, among the hills of Cserhát, neighbouring Karancs, 10 kilometres away to the west from Salgótarján. It is between the main roads connecting Salgótarján and Karancslapujtő, and Salgótarján and Szécsény.

It has been noted already in the 13th century, as a settlement near the road to Losonc. The first settlement was 1,5 kms away from today’s village, on the territories of Kotroczó and Mikótelek. According to oral traditions Kotroczó was set alight by the Ottomans, those inhabitants who managed to escape settled to the territory of today’s village.

The territory has been swampy and waterlogged because of the sources of the hills. In the middle of the village there is a fountain called Csurgó. The first pipe to it was placed by the Ottomans. There has been a pub besides the fountain before any settlement was actually formed. There was a label, warning the travellers of the Losonc- Pásztó- Gyöngyös road, put on the front of the pub: ÉTESS!. The name of the village derived from this label. There is a saying in the village Etes, itt etess! (Hungarian pun)

The centre of the village is situated in a valley surrounded by hills and smaller mountains. From the east and the south, the old coalminer’s settlements surround the village. These settlements are an important part of the village. (Albert, Rau, Amáliatelep)

Northwest to the village there can be found the valley of Kotroczó, through which we can reach Karancslapujtő. Northeast to the village, there is the Szőlőhegy, through which the road runs to Karancsalja. We reach Bénavölgy through that road, the valley ends with Bénaárnyék after a sharp turn to the Southeast. The other part of the valley runs to the North, reaching the border of Karancsalja.

The closed part of the valley is the András valley East to the village, it ends with Gedeztető, which is a dividing line between the András valley and Szánas valley. Szánas valley runs near to the village Zagyvapálfalva. Coming from the village through the András valley we can find on the right the highest hill of Etes, the 399 meters high Öreghegy. In between we can find the Öregetes valley.

Southwest to the village there is the 313 meters high Várhegy, through which a road is running to Ságújfalu. Although the village is not at the crossing point of main roads, it can be easily reached by car. The village is connected to Salgótarján by coaches that run every hour.

History

The people of Etes are of Paloc origin, and Tartars mixed with Slavic people. Slavic origin is represented through the oldest family names of the village: Sirkó and Kucsera.

Etes is a very old settlement, it was first mentioned in the 13th century as the property of the Zách family. Later, the property had many owners. In 1826, the landlady of the village was the widow Kapiné, Anna, who was the daughter of Judge Ferenc Szentivány. She had absolute power over the village.

The people of Etes are known as Paloc people. According to the research of Sándor Pintér, who was a famous ethnographer-archaeologist, and also was born in the village, Etes belonged to the 76 Paloc villages that were situated in Nógrád county. His archaeological and ethnographic collection can be found in the national Museum and in the Archaeological Society of Nógrád county. The village was the part of the notary of Karancsság until 1924, and it belonged to the administrative territory of Szécsény until 1947.