National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Esztár
Click to zoom

Esztár

(The County of Hajdú-Bihar)

Shield erect, base curved to a point. Field party per bend sinister. In first field gules a decreasing moon argent and an ear of corn are borne encouped. In field azure a six-pointed star or, under it a fish argent is naiant to the dexter. On the shield a helmet slightly turned to the sinister, on it a coronet or adorned with gems and a medallion or. Mantles are azure-argent from the dexter and gules and or from the sinister.

The first mention of the village is from 1215. The owner of the village was first Mihály of Hontpázmány, the father of Szalók, who was the common ancestor to the Esztári, Czibak and Battyáni families. From the second half of the 13th century it had the right to levy customs. The priest of the village was mentioned both in the notary of the bishop of Várad (1291-94) and in the notary of the pope (1332-37). The church was mentioned first in 1441, the patron saint was St. Egyed. From the 14th till the 16th century the owner of the village was still the Sztári-Esztári family. The fortress of the village is mentioned in 1453. In 1552 it had 15 and a half servant ports, the landlords were the Sztári, Toldi and Téti families. After 1566, the village was under Ottoman rule. In the 1571 census of the Sanja of Szolnok, 43 houses were mentioned. In 1599, the landlord is István Toldi.

In 1552, the landlord is the Toldi family, in the 17th century, the village belonged to Márton Boldvay. When the ottomans conquered Várad it was still inhabited, but by 1682 the village was depopulated. In 1692 it was reported that the village had been depopulated for ten years, and the inhabitants - István Gorbely and Mihály Sorén – moved to Hencida. After the expulsion of the ottomans, the population of the village has increased steadily, in 1713, 23 families were in the census, in 1720, there were 31 families in the village. It is remarkable that by the 18th century, the village had a significant number of horses, although it didn’t reach the number of oxen. Plant growing was also important, in 1743 there was a significant territory of tobacco land, which has been doubled by 1753. There has been no written agreement between the servant and the landlords, the services were provided by the servants. The noble landowners of the village (Laczkovicsné, Hodosné and Hankovich) demanded different services and liabilities. The lands were cultivated in three rounds. They said that the land was fertile in double and tertian ploughing. There is enough reed and wattle. The council consisted of 10 persons, and the chief judge had a deputy as well. The Berettyó often inundated the territory.