National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Értény
Click to zoom

Értény

(The County of Tolna)

Shield: a triangular heater erect, party per fess by a bar wavy argent. In its first field vert a ploughshare or at a slant couped. In the field gules issuant from the upper reins of the bar wavy, a girl figure proper borne affronté, in a blouse white, bodice and skirt blue and with a bonnet white and blue moth on her hair or. In her dexter hand a bunch of grapes or with leaves, in her sinister hand three ears of wheat or.

Helmet: a barred helmet argent borne affronté, lined argent, adorned or together with a coronet or adorned with gules and azure.

Crest: issuing from the coronet a horse-head argent at a slant in its mouth three arrows or crossed on the stems.

Mantling: gules-argent, vert-or

Motto: below the coat-of-arms on a triple sectioned, swallow-tailed, concave scroll or the motto ÉRTÉNY is borne in majuscules sable. The settlement’s name is preceded and followed by an ornamental dot.

The name of the village of Értény comes from the Patzinaks tribe name. The first inhabitants were probably Patzinaks cavalry-men who joined Saint Stephen.

Written documents about Értény are from the 16th century. The first one is dated 1513. At that time Imre Török, the governor of Nándorfehérvár, from Enying and Ferenc Héderváry, lord of the manors of Tamási and Ozora exchanged their landed property. According to this exchange Héderváry got the village of Értény, among others, in exchange of his lands.

Bálint Török captured Ozora in 1537 by force of arms. Probably Értény became the property of Bálint Török at that time.

In 1543-1544 our land was occupied by the Turks and was under their rule until 1686. At that time the village had only 15 houses.

In 1622 it became the possession of the Eszterházy family.

Under the Turkish occupation a parish was also found in the area. After the driving out of he Turks, in 1691, Értény has Hungarian population. They must have been only a few people because according to the Chamber census of 1869 except for two people, everybody left the village.

In 1701 Pál Eszterházy entrusted Mihály Kóros to settle Értény with Hungarians. He settled it with people from other villages.

In 1721 Kónyi got a parson and Értény, as a branch church was annexed to it.

According to the report of 1722 Értény doesn’t own a church, the church service is held in the office of the director.

According to the church report of 1729, a church covered in mud and roofed with reed was built in the centre of the village, which was not blessed but gave a home to the religion. The painted portrait of Saint Márton was put into the church as the patron saint.

The building of the today church started in 1749, its sanctuary was ready in 1753. In 1741 Értény even got a parsonage.

One of the main sights of Értény was its grammar school. After the Turkish occupation it was the very first parsonage in the County of Tolna.

The school was established from the 1500 forints donation of the famous János Erdősi, parson of Értény. Its brightest period lasted for 10 years. At around 1768 it was said that not only local people but also young noblemen from the country attended it. The living of the inhabitants was always based on husbandry, the making of agricultural products, grape and wine. For this the arable land provided good conditions.

The settlement because of its good conditions and its hard-working people developed quickly. Viable peasant industry started to form. In the early 1900s it was a flourishing municipiality with 1700 inhabitants.

Because of the political changes in the middle of the 20th century Értény started to decline. From 1990 Értény is independent and wants to live again. With mutual collaboration/ joint forces the church was renovated which is an important shelter for us as well as it was for our ancestors.