In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
The shield: the most important element of the coat-of-arms is erect, sqared, pointed base shield. In field gules on base (ground) vert the figure of Saint Adalbert bishop is borne, holding a crook in his dexter hand and a glory is displayed around his mitre.
The colours in the coat-of-arms: gules, vert, argent, sable, or. The contours are sable.
The coat-of-arms of Érsekvadkert is similar to the one used in the 1840s and the same as the coat-of-arms of the village agreed by the Hungarian Ministry of Interior on 26th, May, 1907.
The short history of Érsekvadkert
The village is situated in the area of West-Nógrád, south-west of Balassagyarmat, at the foot of Börzsöny-hill, between the Rétság and Balassagyarmat, along main road 22.
The distinguishing prefix Érsek refers to the one-time owner of the village, to the archbishop of Esztergom. Érsekvadkert (earlier Vadkert) is one of the oldest settlements in the county. It existed well-before the Tartar invasion. The documents in 1227 mention the deer-forest of the archbishop of Esztergom. In 1283 it is the home of the Lord High Stewards (servants of the court) of the archbishop. The village was the property of the archbishop of Esztergom during the Middle Ages. It also used to be a custom station. At that time the today Érsekvadkert consisted of three communities.
In the middle of the 16th century it belonged to the part of Hungary that was under Turkish rule. In 1733 the village was raised to the rank of a market town and gained the right of holding four markets annually. From the end of the Turkish rule until 1848 it belonged under the authority of the archbishop of Esztergom. The Roman Catholic parish existed in 1223, but the today church was built only in 1743. The inhabitants maintained a credit co-operative and also two steam-mills were in operation, from which the today milling industry developed. At the end of the 19th century the inhabitants of the settlement (serfs and servants) got land during the consolidation of holdings. More and more people started industrial and commercial enterprises. The World Wars had done a huge devastation in the village. Between the two World Wars many families left the village and the country.
During the 2nd World War the Jewish people of the village died, only a few survived. During the distribution of lands many families got land, but it was too little to make a living out of it. Several hundreds of people felt constrained to work in the building industry. In 1960-61 the organization of the agricultural co-operatives took place and from this event the village started to develop. Since the operation of the local authority (formed in 1990) the results can be seen. The centre of the village was built, the roads were modernised, electricity, running water and telephone were introduced and also the laying down of natural gas wires were finished. The employment of the inhabitants is 90%, many people made their living from the traditional milling industry, at hog raisers, at the ÁFÉSZ (consumers' and retail trade co-operative), at the agricultural servicing co-operative and in the building industry.
The village is proud of having an own coat-of-arms. Postcards aiming at the advancement of tourism were made about the local sights and monuments. Among these worth mentioning the Roman Catholic Church built in1743m which has a pointed tower with an entablature for a clock made of sheet iron and a five vaulted nave in front of the frontage.