National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Érpatak [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Érpatak

(The County of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg)

Érpatak's coat-of-arms is a Renaissance shield erect, quartered parti per pale and a bar wavy argent. In dexter top (first) field vert a ploughshare with blade to the dexter and a coulter with blade to the sinister, both argent. In sinister top (second) field azure, issuing from the sinister a right arm vambraced, eradicated, holding a scimitar argent tilted or, the blade ensigned with a Turk's head in a turban vert, moustached sable, couped and embrued with three drops of blood gules. In dexter base (third) azure an eagle sable alaisé, displayed, armed or and gules, and crowned or. In sinister base (fourth) vert a 13-eared garb or (ears divided per 5-3-5).

Across the top a tilting helmet at a slant, proper, lined or, crested with a five-pointed (verdured three with two pearls) crown verdured or, gorged with ruby and sapphire. Issuing from the crown a demi-lion or, raising in the dexter paw a scimitar argent, hilted or.

Mantling: dexter azure and argent, sinister gules and or.

The coat-of-arms of Érpatak evokes the historical past. The settlement was mentioned by historical documents as early as 1307 and in October of 1329 as Hwgey or Hugey, but is also given in the list of the papal tithe (1332-1337). The name is an archaic Hungarian word( its meaning can be deciphered on the basis of the Königsberg fragments (ab. 1350) and can be rendered as "star". The fragment says about the Virgin Mary that she was the bright star (hugya) of the seas, which word was misinterpreted at the beginning of our century and at that time the name Érpatak was given to the settlement. The new name Érpatak refers to a brook taking its origin from a place nearby, illustrated in the coat-of-arms as a wavy bar.

The coulter and the ploughshare in the green fields, as well as the golden sheaf of corn originates from the seal of 1772 and that of 1881, and signifies that agriculture has always been the inhabitants' chief occupation.

The armoured right arm holding a scimitar with the Turk's cut-off head symbolises that the bloodshed of previous centuries also reached this settlement. At the same time it is a reference to the Kállay family, the owners of this place, whose crest also has an arm holding a Turk's head.

The crowned and armed black eagle is a reminder of the last landowner, the Dessewffy family, whose coat-of-arms features the eagle as its central motif.

The helmet recalls the dead heroes of the place, the crown is symbolical of local autonomy, while the demi-lion issuing from it means the dedicated and brave soldiers of this settlement.

Pictures:

1. The Mayor’s Office

2. The Greek Orthodox chapel

3. Zsigmond Móricz Primary School, built in 1995

4. The Greek Orthodox church