National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Erdőbénye
Click to zoom

Erdőbénye

(Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County)

In the shield tinctured azure a valiant vambraced argent wearing a mitre, galloping on a horse argent is running his spear through the head of the dragon proper, writhing below him. This valiant is Saint George, the dragon killer, the patron saint of the church and the village. Above his head palm branches are bending on each side, tied together in a bow in the middle with three pairs of gules and or. The picture in the shield is an exact copy of the oldest known oval seal of Erdőbénye, which, according to the date standing on it, is from 1628. Above the shield a helmet argent with a crown or, with bending ribbons on each side: on the sinister: gules-argent, on the dexter: azure-or.

Historical overview

The village of ERDŐBÉNYE is situated in the north-eastern part of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County, in the Zempléni mountains, not far from river Bodrog. It is one of the most beautiful settlements of the historical wine-district of Tokaj.

Foundings prove that the village was already populated in Roman times. In the 19th century the village became famous of the spa built in 1830. The direct antecedents of the of the settlement lead us back to the 9th century. On 11th December 1858, the settlement was announced as a borough, but due to the great decline it became a large village, and then a village.

The Szirmai-cellarmaze and the Szirmai-castle in the village were built in the 13th century.

The inhabitants used to earn their livings as miners and farmers. Today the people of Erdőbénye mainly deal with viniculture, forestry and exploiting minerals.

The raw materials of the settlement are the fine-clay with kaolin and bentonite, the andesite ballast stone and the kieselguhr.

There are a lot of forests in the neighbourhood. Due to its climate, the land is suitable for agriculture and fruit-growing.

The connection to the world-famous wine serves as the greatest advertisement for the settlement.

Local potentialities, like forests and viniculture, provide good sources of extra money for a significant part of the population. The old professions of the coopers and stone-carvers are still living in the village.

The village is proud of its artistically outstanding wood-carvers, heraldic painters and ceramists, but the coppers and other professions dealing with wood are also rising.

The settlement has 860 houses, 135 of which now serve as holiday homes. It is a popular place with people from bigger cities (Debrecen, Miskolc, Nyíregyháza).