National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Ercsi [¤]
Click to zoom

Ercsi

(County Fejér)

The coat-of-arms is a shield with a rounded base, party per fess with a bar wavy argent representing the Danube. In the upper field argent two mounds vert, with the Roman Catholic church on the dexter and the Eötvös obelisk on the sinister respectively. In the lower field azure the seal of Ercsi used in 1638 is borne.

The village's name, which emerged in 1222, is a reference to the water and the waves borne in the coat-of-arms, since the name Erecs, meaning brook or stream, was mentioned in several documents dated about 1240.

The area around Ercsi was an important river crossing place in the Roman times and in later periods. The water would not only serve the purpose of transport but would also mean a source of living for the villagers, who were engaged in fishing and grinding corn in watermills.

The next chronological stage in the history of the settlement, the rank of Ercsi as a market town, is represented by the seal print borne in the middle of the blue field, symbolising the waves of the Danube. It was around the same time that Serbians settled down in the village.

During the reign of King St István (Stephen) an abbey was founded here in 1037. On the site of it, as well as on the site of a more recent church (built in 1701), the church still standing was founded in 1767. By its historical value it is one of the major symbols of the village.

The green field refers to the cultivation of land, typical of the region at earlier as well as in more recent times. In addition, it is a reminder of the local processing of agricultural produce. The bend in the green river bank in the coat-of-arms bears reference to the name Erecs mentioned above, thus it represents the brook running through the village.

The obelisk erected by József Eötvös, Minister of Education, one of the greatest intellectual leaders of the period after the reconciliation between Austria and Hungary (1867), is the symbol of contemporary progressive thought and, at the same time, it commemorates the other great sons of Ercsi.