National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Eperjes [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Eperjes

(County Csongrád)

Eperjes is a settlement in the northeastern corner of the county of Csongrád.

The coat-of-arms is a shield erect with a pointed base, party per fess argent and azure. The upper field bears: argent, a three-pointed open crown verdured or and adorned with rubies, pearls and an emerald; issuant therefrom a demi mythical he-goat saliant reversed, armed, horned and hoofed or, the mane waving, holding in the hoofs a pine sapling, eradicated with three roots, trunked proper (brown) and leaved vert. The lower field bears: azure, a maize ear or in pale, unleaved, snagged vert, flanked on both sides by two ears of wheat or.

The coat-of-arms of Eperjes is incomplete, since it does not bear a crest or mantling.

The motifs are expressive. The upper field with the golden crown recalls the fact that Eperjes used to be a royal possession. The finds from 11th century graves prove that the area of the settlement was inhabited very early.

Later János Hunyadi obtained Zeleméres as a fief, the inhabitants of which were resettled at Eperjes by Mihály Szilágyi, King Mathias' maternal uncle, who had been engaged in lengthy lawsuits with the Maróti family. When Mihály Szilágyi's nephew, Mathias was elected King of Hungary, the uncle was so much delighted that he renamed the village as Királyság (Kingdom).

The demi-goat issuing from the crown and holding a pine was taken over from the armorial bearings of the Szilágyi family. In 1463 Erzsébet Szilágyi protested against selling the village, and János Corvin (Mathias' son) may also have been among its landowners. In the 16th century most of the village plots were owned by the nuns of Rabbit Island (Margitsziget), while the Turks registered the settlement's nearly 100 tax-paying families in the náhije (administrative unit) of Békés. During the 15-year-war the village got depopulated due to the devastations of the Tartars.

After the expulsion of the Turks, Eperjes got into the possession of the Károlyi family, who leased it to the serfs of Szentes. The corn and maize-growing dwellers (whose products appear as charges in the blue lower field) of the scattered farmsteads of Nagykirályság, Mucsihát, and Eperjes were reorganised in 1954 into one independent settlement. From that year onward the original name Kiskirályság ceased to exist, while Eperjes, the name of one its parts, has been in use.