National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Enese [¤]
Click to zoom

Enese

(County Győr-Moson-Sopron)

The coat-of-arms is a heart-shaped shield adumbrated sable, the base curved to a point. On the base vert (occupying one sixth) of the field azure, on a horse forcene argent saddle-clothed vert with a border or a warrior habited and high capped gules, face, soutache and boots or, holding in the dexter hand a scimitar argent. Across the top a barred helmet argent borne sideways. For the crest a coronet or gorged with gems gules and azure. Issuing from the coronet a demi warrior affronty habited in a coat gules with soutache or, high cap gules, raising in the dexter hand a scimitar argent. Mantling: gules and argent on the dexter, azure and or on the sinister, all in the shape of leaves.

Enese is located in a central position at the meeting point of the regions Rábaköz, Tóköz and Hanság. Until the second half of the 1880s it was the ancestral home of the Enessey family, a clan originating from one of the tribes that took part in the Magyar conquest of Hungary. Until the 13th century the village had been their undistributed possession.

The village's first documented mention goes back to 1270. Before the Hungarian defeat at the Battle of Mohács (1526), the name of the village and that of the Enessey family would have been found in several documents and other written sources in various forms like Inse or Inese.

Following this, during the Turkish occupation the village got destroyed several times. Together with other settlements, in 1529 it was burnt down by the Turkish army advancing against Vienna, and became uninhabited.

In 1549 a 4,000-man Turkish troop led by Velidjan, commander of Székesfehérvár, devastated the area around Győr and Pápa again. This time the old archives of the Enessey family got completely destroyed as well.

Even if the rough events of history made the village an abandoned puszta several times, it was repopulated time and again.

The dwellers of Enese were engaged in Ferenc Rákóczi's war of independence (1703-11), since in the insurgent Hungarian army one could find the members of local families, such as the Enesseys or the Bezerédys.

Apart from the Enesseys, in the second half of the 18th century new landowners appeared, including the Hrabovszky, Mesterházy, Nagy and Székely families. Since they held important offices in the county administration, their mansions at Enese hosted several meetings of the county council.

The villagers were able to follow the events of the 1848-9 war of independence with attention, so much the more as Dávid Perlaki, dean of the village, was on friendly terms and in correspondence with Lajos Kossuth.

In 1849 the village managed to employ a full-time teacher. As a result of the activity of teacher István Hetvényi, who worked at Enese from 1860, a county inspector's report from 1874 described the local school as "one of the best in the county as regards both equipment and the quality of teaching".

According to the cadastral survey of 1853-4, the area of Enese was made up of the following units of fields: Belteleki (inner), Külsőréti (outer), Kiskerti, Siroki and Pippani.

The development of the village was greatly enhanced by the railway station, opened in the 1870s, and due to the fact that it lay by the main road leading to Sopron.

At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries the village was owned by the Barcza, Halászy, Mesterházy, Tschurl and Purgly families.

In 1907 a steam flouring mill started to operate in the settlement.

In the two world wars many local inhabitant lost their lives. They are commemorated by a monument erected in their honour.

Development did not come to a halt after the second world war either. Within twenty years the number of inhabitants doubled, and at present there are 1,773 people living in the village.