National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Emőd [¤]
Click to zoom

Emőd

(Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County)

The design of the settlement's present-day coat-of-arms goes back to a seal from 1689. Shield erect, party per saltire, base rounded. In field vert a three-eared corn is borne en couped, and two ears of corn are borne crosswise on the top, all or. This charge is to symbolise the fertile lands of the region. In field or a vine-dressing knife is borne, pointing upwards. It is the symbol of the high quality of local viniculture. Shield is ornamented with a verdured crown, or. This motif refers to the fact that in the 14th century Emőd was part of the royal property of Diósgyőr.

The town of Emőd is located in the southern part of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County, at a distance of 20 kms southeast of Miskolc, on both sides of trunk road No. 3. The town has a railway station of its own and the Budapest-Miskolc main railway line goes through Emőd.

The settlement is situated in the region, where the Northern Mountain Range of Hungary and the Great Plain meet; consequently, the town has favourable economic and geographical conditions and it can also boast excellent natural resources. The administrative area of Emőd includes fertile and rich hilly places (excellent for growing vine and fruits) and highest-quality plains as well.

The area has been inhabited since the period of the Hungarian Conquest and it was mentioned by chronicler Anonymous in relation to that event, saying that chief Árpád and his troops had stayed in the vicinity of Emőd for as long as one month.

The settlement's name is a word of Hungarian origin: Emeud was originally a person's name and the 'd' at the end of the word was a diminutive suffix. The name of the settlement in this form originally appeared in a 13th century document, which explains that Emőd and Muhi were settlements connected by a road.

The earliest record of local land properties goes back to 1281.

Emőd was raised to the rank of market town at the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries and at the same time it was granted a wide range of autonomous rights and other privileges, including the local operation of an independent court. As a market town Emőd did have a seal of its own, and the oldest one is from 1689. Emőd was able to keep its rank as market town unitl 1871.

Emed, Emeyd, Emeod, Emwd, Émewd and Emod are all versions of the settlement's name.

A Catholic parish was organised here in 1735, and, Gábor Fáy, having been converted to Catholicism, established a parish church at Emőd in 1738, which was built to honour Christ's ascension.