National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Egyházasdengeleg
Click to zoom

Egyházasdengeleg

(The County of Nógrád)

Triangular heater erect. In chief in field azure a three pointed verdured coronet or, open, stylised, couped. In the place of the pale of the fess three crosses sable are borne: the middle one is vertical, the other two are at a slant to the dexter and the sinister, respectively. The bottom of their stems is semicircular. Below them in the place of the pale three bars wavy sable are borne.

On the dexter (of the fess) an ear of wheat couped, on the sinister a coulter argent pointing downwards, both follow the arch of the edge of the shield.

In the base three five-pointed stars are borne in one row.

The History of the Village:

The Village of Egyházasdengeleg is situated in the south-east part of the County of Nógrád. This part of the County, which belonged to the bishopric of Vác in the Middle Ages, was called Kisnógrád. The area of Dengeleg is 1475 acres, which as well as the village, is divided by Brook Bér (Called Dengeleg in the Middle Ages). From south and west Brook Ilka (or Hangács, or Tarcsi) is the border. The flora and fauna of the village is determined by its lucky situation. The coat-of-arms of the village also symbolises this with the ear of wheat and the coulter. The motifs of the coat-of-arms are taken from a seal of Dengeleg from the 18th century and show the one-time lifestyle of the dwellers.

The name of Egyházasdengeleg became official in 1905. Before this time for almost a thousand years its name was Dengeleg. The base of the name is “dinga”, “denga” or “dinka”, which has a Slavic origin and indicates a red vine. The brook might have got the name first from the conquering Hungarians, its meaning: brook with denga vines on its bank. Pronunciation: Dengelegy. The settlement was probably named after the brook and preserved it for a millennium.

The area of the village was inhabited by Celts in the 3rd century BC. The famous Celtic coins that were found in Egyházasdengeleg consist of 80 pieces, the biggest of its kind in the country. 11 of them are countersigned with the inscription Audeleontos. The countersign can be found on the back of the coin, under the stomach of the horse.

The settlement was the property of the French Kökényes-Réynold dynasty in the 11th century AD. The first written mention of the possession of the village and the area is from a document dated 1221. The first description of the village border is from 1246. In 1315 the sons of master Kelyanus (de genere Kokenesrenold), Kelyanus and Benedek donated the village and Saint Imre Church to their relative (Terényi from the Kökényes dynasty), the son of Bolchard, Reynoldus. The descendants of Reynoldus owned Dengeleg until the end of the 15th century and started calling themselves Dengelegi (Dengeleghy) after the possession. From that time Dengeleg is known as a curial village. At the end of the 15th century the village was the property of the Rhédei family but László Rhédei pledged the village to Zsigmond Putnoki on 27th November 1484.

The Catholic Church was probably built at the turn of the 11-12th century, at the time of the Saint Imre cult, so earlier than the first mention of the village itself. At that time the Church functioned as a parish until the arrival of the Turks. It is a historic building that was restored and re-consecrated in the first years of the third millennium. It is a Roman style building but also has Gothic and Baroque features as a proof of the constant usage of the church.

In the 16th-18th centuries the Catholic and Evangelic denominations held their religious services here. The building is facing eastward. The windows are narrow, the door closes in a semi-circle. Above the door a very small, three foiled, primitive rosette pierces the main frontage. Its finish and the three foils are typical motifs of the early Gothic churches, one of its kind in Hungary.

The Turks occupied Dengeleg in 1544 and the village was mentioned in the assessment of taxes of 1546. According to the assessment the inhabitants lived well since 63% of the head of the families were obliged to pay gate tax, which is higher than the average. In the time of the Turks the reformation started to spread, which the Turks were not opposed to. With the adoption of the evangelic religion even the economical index improved.

The expulsion of the Turks meant a serious economical decline. The population decreased, the village became depopulated for a short period. It soon started to resettle in the last decade of the 17th century, the Saint Imre Church was well roofed.

The resettlement of Kisnógrád took place in the early 18th century. The settlers of Dengeleg were the Podmaniczky family. They invited Slovak serfs from the Highlands, therefore Dengeleg became a bilingual settlement. The Podaminczky family not only revived the village but also established the first evangelic primary school of Dengeleg. It was opened in 1703 and is operating since then unceasingly. Until 1948, the nationalisation of schools, it was operating as a denominative school. The Catholic primary school was founded in 1849.

In the beginning of the 18th century, during the war of independence led by Rákóczi, in June 1708, Miklós Bercsényi camped here. The prince, Ferenc Rákóczi II and part of his cavalry came to Dengeleg from the campsite at Lőrinc on 20th June 1708 to take counsel with Bercsényi.

After the war of independence led by Rákóczi on 15th August 1717, on the assembly of the evangelic seniorate at Nógrád, the mother church of Dengeleg was ceased to exist due to a royal order. The congregation works as an affiliated church of Szirák. Two churches were built: the first one in 1787, during the curatorship of Sándor Jeszenszky, the second one in 1837, during the curatorship of Mihály Podmaniczky. This church still exists, it is a historic building. It is a Baroque building, the altar is late Baroque with elements in the style of the age of Louis XVI in France, a triangular Toscan entablature based upon two Toscan orders on both sides forming an atrium. The bottom of the altar, where the followers sometimes kneel - especially at the time of the Holy Communion - is surrounded by a balustrade carved skilfully from an olive oak wood. The bracing is famous because its two halves consist of one piece each and that the carver was an unknown carpenter of Dengeleg, whose inheritance is preserved by his handiwork.

The seniorate of Nógrád re-founded the evangelic mother church of Dengeleg on 11 May 1865. Its first supervisor was a landowner, Tamás Plachy, its first minister Sámuel Valentinyi. The congregation still exists. 38 people of Dengeleg fell victim of the World Wars. Their symbolic graves were built by the inhabitants of the village following the designs and with the supervision of Árpád U. Szegedi, artist and sculptor. Its consecration took place in 2000 as part of the millennium feast.