National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Egyek [¤]
Click to zoom

Egyek

(Hajdú-Bihar County)

In shield erect and vert a ploughshare is borne, argent, turning toward the sinister. Ploughshare from below is enframed by two ears of corn or, their stalks borne crosswise.

Although the village of Egyek was mentioned in writing relatively late (1332), it can be stated with much certainty that the settlement had been founded earlier. Its first church was consecrated to honour King St. Stephen and the settlement’s name also derives from the ancient form of a person’s name, a tradition, typical of the earliest settlements of Hungary. The neighbouring village of Ohat got mentioned by Chronicler Anonymus. The first owners of Egyek were the members of the medium-landowning Egyeki family, who named themselves after their property. In the 15th century the chapter of Eger also had land possessions at Egyek. After the fall of the castle of Szolnok (1522) the village got registered as one of those settlements which paid tax to the Turks. In 1615 Egyek belonged to the property of the castle of Bajom.

In the second half of the 16th century the population of the settlement was converted to Calvinism and contemporary sources in 1621 mentioned the existence of a Calvinist church at Egyek. By all likelihood the settlement remained an inhabited one throughout the stormy decades of the 17th century. In 1608 the village got into the possession of András Nagy, an ill-fated Haiduk general. The earliest Calvinist chalice which can be found at Egyek goes back to 1694. After the expulsion of the Turks, the one-time landowner of the settlement, the chapter of Eger turned to court in order to get back the former ecclesiastical property. The legal procedure proved to be successful. The Calvinist population of Egyek was able to sign a favourable contract with the local landowner, the chapter of Eger, but later, in the second half of the 18th century, not only the feudal charges were on the increase for them, but it did go on together with forceful counter-Reformation. Due to these developments by 1787 the Calvinist inhabitants of Egyek left their former lands uncultivated and they all moved to another settlement, Kispereg of Arad County. At Egyek Catholics were invited to replace the Calvinists.

The new inhabitants had their own specific traditions and culture, which were different from the local ones. While in the 17th and 18th centuries the influence of the intellectual and religious centre of the Calvinist Debrecen was to be felt in most settlements of the Hungarian Great Plain region, this was not the case at Catholic Egyek.

Egyek was an agricultural settlement, consequently, the central charge of its coat-of-arms is the ploughshare, a common emblem in coats-of-.arms of rural settlements and market towns in Hungary.

The earliest version of the coat-of-arms of Egyek is known to us from a printed seal of 1760. Its legend reads as follows: EGYEK HELYSÉGE PECSETYE. (The seal of the settlement of Egyek). Its charge can be described as follows: a ploughshare, turning toward the sinister and enframed by leafy floral motives. Ploughshare is topped by a five-pointed crown, adorned with a patriarchal cross in the middle. The cross is a clear reference to the historical fact that the Calvinist population of the village was replaced by Catholics.

The next version of local seals is undated, but it is known to us from a document of 1846. It is likely that this version in the series of local seals was made in the first decades of the 19th century. Its legend reads as follows: EGYEK H PECSETY, that is the ’seal of Egyek’. Its main charge features a ploughshare argent, turning toward the sinister.

On the wall of the County Hall of Hajdú-Bihar County, built in late 19th century Art Nouveau style, the coat-of-arms of Egyek is borne in the form of a green shield, which is decorated with a ploughshare argent. From below the shield is enframed by two ears of corn, or, their stalks are borne crosswise.

Photos:

01. Memorial of war heroes and the Catholic church.

02. Calvary

03. The Pieta of Egyek

04. Calvary

05. A Cumanian mound

06. Street procession

07. Street scene

08. View of the village.

09. View of the village.

10. The building of the school.