National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Egyed [¤]
Click to zoom

Egyed

(The County of Győr-Moson-Sopron)

Shield erect, party per fess with a wavy bend argent, its base is rounded. Chief gules and party per pale. In dexter chief shackles, chain and a steel ball are borne encouped, behind them a mound vert topped by a well masoned and barred. In sinister chief on ground vert a single-towered church argent, its gate open and its wall is decorated with a bell opening and three windows. Spire is adorned with a Latin cross argent. On the ground on the dexter and on the sinister sides leaves of grass, vert. In bend argent a row of seven trees trunked sable and leaved vert. In base vert a two-storey mansion is borne encouped and or. At its two ends corner turrets, which represent Neogothic style. The mansion also features an open entrance and 15 windows. Above the shield a five-pointed nobiliary crown is borne encouped and decorated with gems. Crown is flanked by stylised olive branches. Below the shield the word EGYED, the name of the settlement is inscribed in letters vert.

The charges in Egyed’s coat of arms can be described as follows:

The shackles, the chain and the steel ball borne in dexter chief recall the settlement’s infamous Medieval prison-well, behind it the stylised depiction of the building itself. The prison, which left very painful mamories, but which could have served as a relic of cultural history, was destroyed by the people in 1946. The church and the ploughshare, borne in the sinister chief come from the 1878 seal of the village. The seal used to feature a poplar tree, which was eventually omitted from the settlement’s contemporary coat of arms. The row of seven trees borne in the silver bend are the so-called ’trees of the seven tribal chiefs’, which were planted in the millenial year of 1896 to commemorate the seven tribal chiefs of early Hungarian history as well as Queen Elizabeth. The building of the mansion borne in the base is a reference to Egyed’s only sight, the Batthyány mansion, which is soon to be renovated.