National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Edelény
Click to zoom

Edelény

(The County of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén)

The coat of arms of Edelény is a round - bottomed shield, in its blue field there is the silhouette of a floating white (silver) gate of a Baroque mansion with the shadow of its closed wings of door: on the bottom of the shield tehere is the yellow (golden) shape of the remains of the Earthwork of Borsod:

In the middle of the red top of the shield, witch is formed by a white (silver) waving stripe, there is a yellow (golden) crossed hammer and a wedge (miner-emblem).

The white gate is the symbol of the historic mansion, witch was built between 1727-1730, and it is the tourist sight of the town: the yellow Earthwork in the shield is the eponym of the county. The waving white stripe is the symbol of River Bódva, witch cuts the town through, the miner-emblem of the top of the shield symbolises the mining witch started in the second third of the century and Nowadays it is still the most important industry of the town.

The small town witch lies 25 kilometre's from Miskolc in the Northern side of Borsod-Abauj-Zemplén county is called the gate of Bódva valley with good reason, since it lies on the lower, broadening past of the river valley.

The expansion of the settlement was first insured by the control of the river witch stoped the mashland and prevented the river from overflowing its banks during the annual spring and fall rainfalls.

The town witch population is nearly 11.000 was created out of the menger of three villages.

Village Borsod was annexed to Edelény in 1950 and Finke 1963. In the Middle Ages there were more settlements on the contemporary administrative territory of the town witch were destroyed during the tempests of the centuries and by today they are only geographical names on the maps; e.g: Cseb, Lánci, Sáp, Császta

The oldest traces of human settlements were found in Kővágó, next to Bódva river. The human of the prehistory lived here, and the age of the finds, witch were turned up by chance, dated for 400-200 years.

The domicile of those humans who belonged to the culture of the New Stone Age in Bükk (B.C. 5000-2500) was found on the hill of Borsod-Derékháza.

Those people who lived here made the fascinating "line-decorated" Ceramics, witch are found in fractions nowadays and used blades snapped from obsidian, flint and calcedon, bone needles and other bone and stone tools. We have several founds from the Bronze Age, the most outstanding among them is remain of a sortified settlement from the Middle Bronze Age witch belongs to the culture of Füzesabony witch was found in Ludmilla field.

On that part of the town witch is called Borsod, is found the Earthwork of Borsod witch in the eponym and the first bailiff and church center of the historical Borsod county.

It lost its importance after the Tatar invasion. Since 1987 the are excavations witch great success.

Edelény itself was first mentioned by a charter only in 1299 in the form of Edelin, Edelyn when palatin Roland held general assembly here. From this time on the name of the settlement often appears in deeds of gift and in disputed documents.

In the 15th century Edelény got to the property of the Bebek family who made the town thrive. In this time Edelény was converted into a weekly market place in addition to Szendrő and Rudabánya. The main road to Torna, Szepes, Krakkó was led throng Edelény and from Szentpéteren (now Sajószentpéter) it was possible to cross only on the Bodva bridge of Edelény.

The bridge-tal was a nice income for the current landowner.

The German garrison of the nearby castle of Szendrő could not protect the settlements of the broadening past of Bódva from the Turkish invasion so this part became the past of the ottoman rule several times and became depopulated. In 1580-90 the settlement was mentioned as "DESERTED EDELÉNY".

It fills up witch people again, and to the suggestion of the chamber of Szepes, the king put the settlement in pawn to Zsigmond Rákóczi and it remains in the property of the Rákóczis almost for 100 years. After the war of independence of Bocskai and after the peaces the town was made thrive again. In the Gothic church witch was built around 1330, Calvinists held service. The landowners of the neigh buorhood are supporters of the new religion that is why reformation spred fast in this area.

In 1700. II.- Ferenc Rákóczi put Edelény in pawn to János Ferenc L' Hullier, who built a beutiful Barogue castle on the banks of the Bódva. The five halls of the castle are decorated by frescos and some beantiful rococo title stoves have servived the 250 years since the building of the castle.

In the following hundred years, the estate was passed from one titled family to another until the family died out and the castle with all the possessions got to the property of the treasury. This is the time when the Coburg family buy the castle and the possessions. In 1838 the Coburgs established sugar works and mined coal for the heating of the factory's steam - engines. Later they rented the mine and the sugar work and since 1860 one part of the castle as made used by of the state deitict court.

The Castle was bought by the Mimisty of Justice and after 1945 it became the poperty of the state.

Due to the coalmining after 1945 Edelény had a spectacular growth. In the 1950's and 1960's because of the new workplaces more and more families moved to the town from the surrounding villages and built up their homes. New kindergarten, primay schools, high school, shops, culture and health institutions are built to provide better supply.

In 1909 Edelény took over the sole of the deitict chief town over Szendrő. In 1984 the deitrets were wund up and Edelény was granted its foun rank in January 1986.

After the change of regurie in 1989 the town utilired the possibilities of competitions and it started the new development.

More and more people visit the museum of the town, the Land House of Borsod and they get acquinted with the past and the future of Edelény through this.

E-mail: edelenyph@mail.matav.hu

E-mail: edelenyph@matavnet.hu

Photos:

01. Earthwork at Borsod.

02. Calvinist Church at Borsod.

03. Map of Edelény.

04. Greek Orthodox Church.

05-06. L'Huillier-Coburg mansion. An aerial view.

07. L'Huillier-Coburg mansion.

08. Calvinist Church.

09. Roman Catholic Church.

10. Local History Museum.