National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Écs
Click to zoom

Écs

(The County of Győr-Moson-Sopron)

A pointed base erect on the field proper (brown) of the field azure in the place of the pale a garb or stands. On its dexter a vine-shoot with a five pointed leaf and a bunch of grapes gules, on the sinister a vine-shoot with a leaf and a bunch of grapes or, all couped.

The shield is flanked by two laurel branches stylised, their stems cross under the shield.

Above the shield – not belonging closely to the coat-of-arms symbolically – the motto ÉCS is borne in or.

The introduction of the village of Écs:

The book entitled “The Counties and Towns of Hungary, the County of Győr” edited in 1906 writes the following: “Nagyécsfalu, Hungarian village, seat of a notorial district, with 85 houses and 469 Roman Catholic inhabitants. Its post-office and train station is Nagyécs, its telegraphist is Győszentmárton. A document from 1216 and one from 1221 mentions the village as “Echy” and “Echu”. The village was the property of the castle serfs of Győr but the Abbey of Szentmárton also had significant amount of possession here. Before the Tartar invasion only one village with the name Écs is mentioned in the documents. After the invasion 4 such villages are found: Kisécs, Nagyécs, Écsmesterfa and Écshegy. It was the ancient home of the “Éch” family. In 1268 we find Pápóczi provotship of Premontrei among its landowners. In 1363 the village name is “Nagy-Éch”. In 1323 King Charles endowed lands on Sándor ‘Köcsky’. In 1325 “Tamás comes” was also a landowner who sold his properties to Sándor Köcsky. In 1327 Sándor Köcsky got an endowment from Queen Elizabeth and the wife of Pál ‘Magyar’ became a landowner here in 1332 with the help of the Queen. In 1364 Pál ‘Nagy’, royal chief steward was inaugurated into some parts of the land. Meanwhile, the wife of Pál Magyar gave some parts of the land to the Provost of Pápócz, which was confirmed in 1368. in 1376 the Chapel of Győr and in 1395 Jakab ‘Mouchous’ are among the landowners.

Later Margit ‘Chituandi’ got some properties, in which King Matthias confirmed her in 1473. in 1509 even János ‘Bedeghy’ owned properties here, but he gave his land to the Chapter of Győr, while the Abbey of Szentmárton got a land from Ferdinand I in 1535. in 1561 the ‘Taápy’ family is among the landowners. During the Turkish occupation the village was destroyed, it started to resettle in 1606. in the assession of 1609 only the provotship of Pápócz and the Abbot are mentioned as landowners in the village of Nagy-Éch. At this time the village belonged to the surrendering villages, its landowner was Salud Pasha. After the Turkish reign the landowners are the Abbey of Szentmárton, the provotship pf Pápócz and the Chapter of Győr. In 1869 large part of the village burnt down and the church also fell victim to the flames. The Catholic Church built in 1840 was rebuilt. The ancient village of “Écsmesterfa”, which now belongs to Nagycsécs as a district, was founded by László ‘Mesterfay’ from whom the village got its name as well. In 1442 as a result of the fact that the wife of Miklós ‘Varangy’ had no sons, István ‘Dereskey’ and György ‘Bakody’ became landlords. However, they were disloyal, so Queen Elizabeth endowed the land on János ‘Bábunai’. Here belongs the farm of Prépost.

Nagyécshely is a Hungarian village, in the neighbourhood of Nagycsécsfalu with which share a common history and was the vineyard of the landlords of Écs. Its first mention is in a document from 1172 when ‘Konrád’, a royal serf endowed three vineyards on the Abbey. In 1210 ‘Apus’, the brother of ‘in villa Eschu Kált’, also endowed a vineyard on the Abbey of Szentmárton. Earlier it was the habitat of the royal vine-growers and the formerly mentioned Konrád also belonged to them. In 1250 King Béla IV endowed vineyards on the provotship of Túróczy. In 1286 erszébet ‘Zeghi’ from the Hunt-Pázmán dynasty owned a vineyard here. In 1373 the Hospitallers gained possession of vineyard. Its later state of possessions are the same as that of Nagycsécsfalu. The number of houses in the village is 329, the population is 1578, all of them are Roman Catholics by religion. Its post office and train station is Nagycsécs, its telegraphist is Győszentmárton.

According to the ’Hungarian Geographic Dictionary’ edited by Elek Fényes in 1851: “Nagy-Écs, a Hungarian village in the County of Győr, near Szentmárton, with 2000 inhabitants, some of them are living in the vineyards. Its main source of living is wine producing. Its mayor is the Prepost of Pápócz.”