In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Győr-Moson-Sopron)
Shield at fess point parti per fess by four barrulets wavy azure. The wave represented by the four blue lines symbolises the river Danube, its system of branches, the branch of Zátonyi Duna and that of Mosoni-Duna.
In chief argent a hart proper at gaze, attired or, adumbrated sable. This motif refers to game husbandry and hunting, both playing an important role in the village's life.
In shield base or an oak trunked proper, leaved vert and adumbrated sable on the dexter, and an arm manched proper, adumbrated sable, holding a hatchet sable on the sinister. The tree is the graphic representation of forestry, while the hand holding the hatchet is that of lumbering and, in a broader sense, of all kinds of handicraft. The cross in the base of the shield is the manifestation of the Roman Catholic religion followed by the inhabitants.
The shield is bordered by a line sable.
Under the shield on a scroll or partly covered and bordured sable a motto sable reading DUNAKILITI. Under the scroll two ears of wheat or adumbrated sable borne symmetrically, meant to symbolise the settlement's agriculture.
Dunakiliti is one of those villages that were mentioned by the earliest of documents. Its history goes back to the age of the Árpáds. It existed as early as the 12th century. There are several concepts as to the origin of its name. According to some, it was named after its first owner, a várjobbágy (warrior or official serving in the castle, directly subjected to the king) called Kilit from Pozsony. Others think that the village bears the name of a nobleman called Kelud, who obtained his nobility from King Stephen III in 1165.
According to another opinion, the village received its name from Pope St Kiliti (Cletus, 26 April), patron saint of the settlement's first chapel.
As regards another version of interpretation, Kiliti is a name of Turkish origin, meaning kulcs (key), which possibly refers to the settlement as one situated in a key position by the river.
In the Middle Ages the village for some time bore the name of Asszonyfalva (Frauendorf in German). Until 1883 it had been part of the comitat of Pozsony, then it joined the comitat of Moson (sometimes also called Moson-Kiliti). It was an all-Hungarian village, the dwellers of which were considerably wealthy farmers dealing in fishing, lumbering and charcoal burning. In the 1800s agriculture and animal husbandry were complemented by fruit growing, which only became significant from the first decade of the 20th century onwards. The produce was sold at the markets of Pozsony and Vienna.
The great landowners of the village often changed during the course of history. They included the Liphtay, Héderváry and Draskovich families, as well as István Illésházy. From the beginning of the 19th century the area was owned by József Batthyány, Count of Köpcsény, then it was inherited by his daughter Erzsébet, wife of Count Sándor Pálffy, who held it until 1945. Apart from great landowners, the settlement was also possessed by lesser nobles of local origin.
It was here that Dr. László Batthyány-Strattmann,"doctor of the poor", was born on 28 October 1870 and lived until 1876. The mansion of the famous oculist still stands in the village, and at present it is functioning as a primary school.
The Turkish troops on their way to besiege Vienna, as well as the Austrians often looted the settlement, for the ferry of Csölösztő on the other bank of the Danube made crossing easy. It was also here that Ferenc Rákóczi II, having escaped from the prison of Bécsújhely, crossed the Danube. The tree under which he had a rest was for a long time called by the locals Rákóczi's tree. It no longer exists. French troops were also to be seen here in 1809, during the Napoleonic wars.
Dunakiliti is situated by the corner of the region called Szigetköz, where the Mosoni Duna branches off the Danube River.
The area can be recommended to those tourists who like the tranquillity of nature still untouched, or who are fond of river banks, swimming and angling all along the Zátonyi-Duna and the whole system of river branches of the Danube.
There is an almost uninterrupted area of forests in the flood zone of the Danube, stretching from Dunalikiti to Dunaremete. Here the tourist wandering from island to island can mainly come across aspen and willow groves. The winding of the Mosoni Duna is flanked by gallery forests of considerable size, in which mainly hard-leaved trees such as ash, oak and elm, pines, poplar and aspen can be found. The beauty of these forests is greatly enhanced by the fact that Hungary's well-known spring flowers bloom here en masse. These include snowdrops, lilies-of-the-valley, violets and the similarly decorative wild garlic with a characteristic scent, as well as many kinds of buttercup, chickweed and pansy.
The forests can best be discovered on foot or by bicycle. Cars are not recommended because they may obstruct the normal operation of forestry and hunting. Signs of prohibition should always be observed for reasons of property protection and personal safety. Some parts of the forest are nature conservation areas under strict protection; they are marked by signs.
Facilities include a riding school with a pension, a camp site, a free access beach by the Zátonyi Duna, and an anglers' paradise abundant in fish. The Mosoni Duna, the Zátonyi-Duna and the flood zone branches of the Danube provide opportunities for boat trips in the wonderful Szigetköz region.
The village has suffered much from the Danube; the frequent changes of the river bed and the floods kept the dwellers in constant fear. Even today's high street used to be a river branch, or it might have been the Old Danube itself that would flow there. The most devastating floods were recorded in the years 1712, 1798, 1803, 1862, 1876 and 1954.
There were frequent fires as well; in November 1800 the whole village, while in 1878 half of the village and the church burnt down.
In 1873 the inhabitants were decimated by cholera, after which László Batthyány-Strattmann's mother had a small chapel built opposite the mansion. The noble Mihály Beöthy, soldier in the national army of 1848-9 used to live and teach in the village, where he was buried in 1902.
One of the sights of the village is the millennial oak outside the church. It is one out of the seven trees planted by the villagers in 1896, on the occasion of the 1,000th anniversary of the Magyar conquest of Hungary, to honour the seven chieftains who led the Magyars into the Carpathian basin. Unfortunately, six oaks have already perished; the only remaining one is being taken loving care of.
In order to continue the initiative of a hundred years ago, the body of representatives of the village's self-government, within the framework of the millecentennial celebrations, on 27 October 1996 planted outside the civic centre seven oak trees and erected a wooden headboard dedicated to the memory of the Conquest.
From the beginning of the 1990s new industrial plants have been built through the investment of foreign (Austrian, Belgian and German) investors and owners. These provide new places of employment for villagers and those living in the nearby settlements, so unemployment in the area is insignificant.
In the past decade the settlement's infrastructure has nearly completely developed, including healthy running water, sewerage and sewage purification, dust-free roads (nearly a hundred per cent), telephone and cable television. The network providing natural gas is being under construction.
The village's favourable location (at the meeting point of three borders), its high-level supply with public utilities, as well as the tax benefits granted by the self-government provide excellent opportunities for small and big investors alike.