National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Dorog [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Dorog

(County Komárom-Esztergom)

Dorog is situated in the county Komárom-Esztergom, in the capital city's zone of attraction. Its history goes back to the neolithic age.

The coat-of-arms is a Baroque shield erect, party per cross, with a pointed base and a top in the stylised shape of a ram's head. In the first field gules, hanging from a singly-twisted strap a coach horn alaisé, all argent. In the second and third fields or two bars gules respectively. In the fourth field sable a pick-hammer and a miner's pick-axe crossed in saltire, all argent.

Above the shield, on a fourfold-pleated scroll gules the motto DOROG sable. The scroll is cut deep on both sides, the tails loosely plaited on each side respectively, with one end curling beside the motto, the other under the base.

The colour red expresses life, the desire to live and the courage of resumption, whereas the post horn is the symbol of the fact that, following ancient tracks, the important Roman military road connecting Aquincum and Noricum used to lead across this place. In the Middle Ages the Roman road was still in use. Moreover, when in the early 18th century the stage-coach service was organised, Dorog became an important station on the route between Buda and Vienna. At the station inn many notable personalities were put up, among others Ferenc Kazinczy, István Széchenyi and Ferenc Wesselényi.

The colour gold of the second and third fields signify the wealth of the region, its good soil, vineyards, forests and mineral resources. The red bands, taken over from the coat-of-arms of the Árpád kings, evoke Hungary's early history, for Dorog used to be a queen's possession. The red, the colour of fire, also sheds light on the fact that the settlement owed the court services in cooking. (Dorog's first written mention is from 1181.) The four bands might symbolise those ethnic groups (the Hungarians, the Germans, the Czechs and the Moravians, as well as miners from the banate of Temes), who settled down here from the late 17th century onwards. In addition, the bands also refer to the town's remarkable achievements in the important spheres of life, such as work, the creation and maintenance of culture, as well as science and sport. It was here that many of the greatest musicians of Hungary started their career, whereas Dorog's artists representing both fine and applied arts have made the town's name famous nationwide. Local botanists, geologists, ethnographers, historians, architects and mining engineers are the acknowledged representatives of their profession, while the town's athletes are world-famous.

The black field also recollects the sad days in the history of the settlement, which got destroyed during the Turkish occupation and remained uninhabited for one and a half centuries (1542-1694). In the two world wars many hundreds of its citizens lost their lives, and thousands had to abandon their homes and belongings. Industrial production took its toll as well. At the same time, the field also emphasises that the Declaration of Dorog was issued here with the aim of calling for tolerance and reconciliation. In order to commemorate this event, a monument was erected.

Moreover, the colour black symbolises the region's coal fields, the mining of which started in the first half of the 19th century. The first mining contract is dated 1845. The remarkable progress at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries was due to mining, and coal would be transported by rail and by boat. In the town a whole miners' colony came into being with its own church, labour centre, school, kindergarten, casino and hospital. The miners also had their own orchestra and sports clubs. All this is indicated by the miners' tools in the black field.

The baroque-like character of the shield suggests that the settlement revived and was resettled in the baroque period. The local church, built between 1767 and 1775, also bears the features of this style. The shield top pointing upward expresses rapid development, by which in the course of barely three centuries Dorog, the one-time deserted settlement, rose to the rank of town (1984).

E-mail: doroghiv@elender.hu

Pictures:

1. Heroes’ Square

2. The Community Centre

3. The Town Hall