National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Devecser [*]
Click to zoom

Devecser

(The County of Veszprém)

The town of Devecser is a settlement situated in the western part of Veszprém county slightly stretching into the North-western Plain of the country.

Its coat of arms: upright pointed-based Renaissance shield, a wavy silver band horizontally dividing the nombril into two fields. In the upper half a golden towery fortified castle with an open gate is hovering against a blue background, with a 16-ray golden Sun on the right and a silver waxing Moon on the left. Below the ribbon a golden cluster of grapes flanked by a golden wheatear and a golden oak leaf are floating against a green background. The blazon frame is also golden.

The coat of arms of Devecser is incomplete.

The meanings of the symbols and charges of the blazon: the shape of the shield recalls the former market-town. The upper blue colour stands for eternity, the silvery wavy band for the Torna brook running across the settlement, while the lower green field represents the most specific human activity, i. e. agriculture. The Sun and the Moon are symbols preserved from the old coat of arms, the Sun expressing renewing life and faith in future, the Moon being the mark of ephemeral time.

The golden image of the Esterházy Castle symbolises the historic past and cherishes the memory of the family which had played a prominent part in the development of the settlement. The open gate expresses the openness and the hospitality of the inhabitants.

The symbols found in the green field represent the Somló Hill, world famous for its wine production (the cluster of grapes), the grain crops growing in the North-western Plain (the wheatear) and the developed forestry and wood-working industry due to the vicinity of the Bakony Mountains (the oak leaf).

Documents first attest the name of Devecser as a settlement in 1297. A privileged town from 1557 it even received a coat of arms. In the 1630s the settlement became Esterházy property, which resulted in the fortification of the castle. On August 6, 1760 Devecser organised the first national fair, from 1794 getting the right to have weekly markets, events that influenced decisively its further industrial development.

At the beginning of the 1800s 2.805 people formed the 562 families living in 365 houses. In 27 trades 129 families, grouped into 23 trade guilds, were dealing with industry.

Alongside with the industrial development the number of businesses also increased. In 1883 the Devecser Smallholder Society (Devecser Vidéki Gazdakör) was founded with a monthly issued gazette.

In 1891 a new paper was launched entitled The Machine Hall (Gépcsarnok).

In 1869 the Devecser Savings Bank was set up; in 1896 the Journal of the Somló Region (Somlóvidéki Hírlap) saw the light for the first time.

At the beginning of the 20th century important industrial plants and factories started operation. Consequently the inhabitants created social institutions and associations: The Devecser Tradesmen and Industrial Society (Devecseri Kereskedők és Iparosok Köre), Women's Society (Nőegylet), Music Society (Daloskör), Reader's Society (Olvasókör), Casino, etc.

In 1909 the foundation stone of the hospital was laid. In 1867 the settlement regained its rank of a municipality, rank preserved until 1971. For centuries Devecser had been the economic, cultural and educational centre of the region.

The early achievement of the bourgeois status is portrayed by the relatively closed architecture of the town centre, as well as by the large number of multiple public institutions at work.

In education the apprentice and elementary schools marked the first primordial step, later followed by the setting up of secondary level educational institutions.

In 1970 Devecser received the rank of a large-size village.

When the centre of the municipality with all its offices moved to the town of Ajka, the developing opportunities of the settlement temporarily diminished.

The forced industrialisation process and the formation of a "socialist town" resulted in Ajka's dynamic development.

In spite of the changes that had occurred in the administration, Devecser preserved its employment, teaching and educational capacity, this role being continuously on the increase since the changing of the regime and forming the self-government.

As a result of the ideal geographic situation of the settlement as well as the good transport conditions, the businesses ensure a stable work place not only for the inhabitants of the town but also for the people from the neighbouring region.

The library meets the needs of 45 settlements, while the House of Culture organises theatrical performances for the inhabitants of 12 surrounding villages. Other institutions also cater the needs of the region.

The large-size village of Devecser celebrated its 700th anniversary in 1997.

Devecser has been awarded the town rank by the President of the Republic according to the 85/1997. (VI.5) resolution.