National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Dévaványa [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Dévaványa

(The County of Békés)

Dévaványa is a settlement of an extraordinarily vivid past, as it has belonged to the counties of Heves, Békés and Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok alternately. Also, it was called a possession (possessio), a village (villa) or a market-town (oppidum). Since the time of its first mention (villa Vana, 1332) it had a dozen owners.

Shield azure with a rounded base. On a field vert on a horse argent at speed a mounted warrior habited gules, in a high cap gules trimmed argent, belt argent, boots sable; his pelisse gules fur-lined argent thrown over the shoulder, face and hands proper, hair and moustache sable, holding over his head in the dexter hand a scimitar argent tilted or, in his sinister hand the reins sable. Saddle sable, housing azure and lined gules.

Across the top a barred helmet at a slant, proper, round the gorget a medaillon or. Helm is ensigned with a five-pointed open crown verdured or. Crown is crested by an eradicated arm proper, vambraced, issuing from the sinister, holding in the hand (as if repeating a motif on the shield blazoning) a scimitar argent tilted or. Mantling, in the form of acanthus leaves, on the dexter azure and or, on the sinister gules and argent. Even if the coats-of-arms of the settlement's one-time owners (the Kompolthi, Országh, Török of Enying, Novotha, Halassy, etc. families) do not bear any emblazoning similar to the ones described above, we think that the coat-of-arms of Dévaványa belongs to the category of canting arms, since its former owners, nearly without exception, served as mounted warriors while, during the Turkish era, this possession was given to cavalry troopers serving in border castles as payment. Although there is no direct evidence, it is still highly probable that, according to contemporary practice, the settlement acquired the seal based on which its coat-of-arms was designed during the reign of Emperor Charles III (1711-1740) (cf. ALTENBURGER-RUMBOLD II. 6.).