National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Town of Demecser [¤]
Click to zoom

Demecser

(Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County)

The seal of the Local Authority of the Town of Demecser: Shield shaped, the Seal is divided into three major sections.

On the upper left white section there stands a black contoured faint yellow water tower with two green trees in the front. On the upper right section there're three yellow wheat ears on a green background. The bottom section of the Seal is a fish-shaped area, inside there's a brown fish swimming left. Over this area there's a strong, black line. The Seal is encircled by golden olive branch on the left and golden oak-branch on the right. The two branches are tied up together by the bottom by a golden ribbon.

The History of Demecser

The village of Demecser is located at a distance of 25 kilometres northeast of Nyíregyháza, in an area where the regions of Közép-Nyírség and Rétköz meet. It is accesssbile on a minor road branching off from trunk road No. 4 at Székely. The Budapest-Záhony main railway line runs through the settlement.

As it is attested by numerous archeological finds the area of contemporary Demecser was inhabited as early as ancient times. The village is registered by archeologists and museologists as a place of the earliest finds of the so called ’Great Plain linear patterned pottery’. The patterns are mostly engravings of simple geometrical forms, but examples representing the later Körös-Szamos area painted pottery were also found.

The name of the settlement was first mentioned in a document around 1261-1267, according to which in the vicinity of the village of Kék Governor Sándor Kárászi purchased an estate called Kendemecher. As it is attested by some other sources the name of the settlement first occured in a deed of gift of approximately 1270-1272, according to which King Stephen V bestowed the settlement on Sándor Kárászi.

Due to a decision brought by the Palatine in 1331, Miklós, the son of Sándor Kárászi lost part of the village; it is also known that his brother had the intention of selling the other part of the village to a man called Pál Magyar. István, a member of the Kállay branch of the Balogh-Semjén clan registered a protest against this intention on the grounds of owning the settlement himself. In spite of this fact it seems to be certain that eventually Pál Magyar was able to purchase the village of Demecser, with the surrounding swamps and 30 fish ponds for an amount of 400 silver forints. The stone building of the village church, which was constructed to honour St. George existed as early as this period. In 1354 Demecser was given to Erzsébet, the daughter of Pál Magyar, as part of her dowry.

The 15th century brought a change in the history of Demecser. It was in this period that the settlement obtained the right to hold fairs and it was raised to the rank of market town. In 1415 Demecser as well as its outer fields were obtained by the members of the Czudar family.

Demecser was a market town from 1460 to 1886. Its right to hold fairs was first mentioned in a document of 1466. It can be concluded form the date that these privileges were most likely to have been given to the settlement by King Mathias. Bessénytanya, Bodótanya, Borzsovatanya, Feketetanya, Idatanya, Kolbárttanya, Vártanya, Verestanya, Fellegvártanya, Kistanya were also parts of Demecser in this period. The owners of the settlement were the members of the Várady and Kállay families.

According to the tax register of 1556 Demecser had 32 tax paying households, so the number of inhabitants is estimated to have been about 160-165 people. In 1588 there were 93 serfs in the village and they belonged to the members of the Várady family. Due to the swamps of Rétköz the area was relatively sparsely populated because people could only settle down at some heights. In 1611, when the male branch of the Várady family died out members of various nobiliary families claimed the right to Demecser. In the middle of the 17th century István Lónyay was one of its owners and he was given the right of ownership of part of the village by the palatine.Others obtained parts of the settlement by right of mortgage. There were times when part of the village was a royal possession.

The census of 1720 registered 14 units of land held in villeinage, two dry mills and three water mills in the village.

In the period of the liberation of the serfs the members of the Barkóczy and the Jósa families owned the village. It was only later that other families, including the Pazonyi, Szabó, Györy, Cseepey, Vay and Répássy families came into the ownership of smaller or of larger estates in the area. The number of Demecser’s inhabitants in that period was 839, the size of its ploughlands was 244 acres, and the rest of the village’s outer fields was pastures and fishing ponds.

In 1870 there were 220 houses at Demecser and the number of its inhabitants reached 1385. The area of the settlement was 6467 acres then.

By the census of 1900 the village had 226 houses and 2021 inhabitants.

Due to the rise of capitalism the number of Demecser’s inhabitants further increased at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. It was also the period when the Tisza river got regulated, a network of canals was constructed in the eastern half of the country, the Nyíregyháza-Ungvár railway line opened, and in connection with the rising popularity of pickled cabbage production, cooperage and starch production developed.

Local economy thrived in this period and it had a beneficial influence on village life and society.

In 1931 the number of village houses was 538 and the number of Demecser’s inhabitants reached 4,000. A seven-classroom school operated in the village and by their religious affiliations the inhabitants formed Roman Catholic, Calvinist and Israelite congregations. It was also in the 1930s that some local roads were constructed, others got paved. These roads link Demecser to the neighbouring settlements. After the world war the development of Demecser was blocked by the politics of artificial centralisation and its straight outcome, disproportionate development. The development of Nyíregyháza was prioritised in this period and the nearby Záhony also played a special role. The number of inhabitants was still on the rise in this period and the settlement gained its present-day size in the 1960s and 1970s.

In the meantime politicians became increasingly aware of the disadvantages of the politics of centralisation and due to this change Demecser has acquired a new role as the centre of the Rétköz region. From the mid-70s onward a slow but steady development started in the village.

As of April 15, 1973 the local governments of Demecser and of the nearby village of Székely joined and the settlement was raised to the rank of township. In 1977 the village of Kék also joined in.

In 1975 a wool-spinning factory was established in Demecser, thus the proportion of industry and the number of industrial employees increased in the region. Demecser became a regional centre of 10 villages, for 20,000 inhabitants, who worked in two factories, an agricultural cooperative as well as in service industries and various government institutions.

The political and social democratisation and the establishment of a market-oriented economy created the possibilities for civil development. This development coincides with new ownerships and this change has also created some conflicts and social tensions in local industry, agriculture, trade and services as well.

The local agricultural cooperative ceased to exist. The two factories- the distillery and the textile factory- were privatised and due to this change they lost their former markets.Their activities narrowed down and they had problems with their competitors, too. The factory owners changed on several occasions but none of them could stabilise the economic status of the factories .These hardships in local industry resulted in rocketing unemployment figures and subsistence worries all obver the settlement.

In spite of these difficulties from 1990 to 1994 the local gas network was constructed, the heating system of public institutions was modernised, and many village roads were paved.

From 1994-1998 a new wing was added to the school building and an up-to-date refuse dumping ground was established. The village sports grounds and the village centre were rebuilt and a new police station opened.

Demecser is a green settlement with many parks. In the early 1990s The building of the village hall was also modernised and the construction of the sewerage was also completed.

The settlement’s development is uninterrupted and on July 1, 2002 Demecser was raised to the rank of town. Mayor László Fáky rendered great services in order to achieve this aim. He died in the summer of 2003.

The institutional network of Demecser offers a full range of services for the entire small region. The settlement’s 40-year old secondary school is an outstanding institution in the entire region. In order to assist the young inhabitants of the town with their first homes 32 tenement flats were built in Demecser in 2003.

Mayors:

199-1994 Sándor Újváry

1994-2003 László Fáky

2003- Gyula Kiss