In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Shield azure and gules slightly rounded, party per fess, pierced flanchewise. In first field a lion or erect is borne encouped, turned to the sinister with a tongue gules. It holds a saber. This is a motive of the village’s (Zseli) seal that dates back to 1851. In base an ear of corns or on a mound vert, under the leaf on the dexter a ploughshare argent is borne encouped, on the dexter a colter argent is borne encouped. These are also the motives of the village’s (Mosondarnó) seal from the year 1710.
Under the shield a motto rounded: Darnózseli.
Darnózseli is situated in Northeastern Hungary, in the Kisalföld, in the middle of the Szihgetköz. The Szigetköz is the biggest island on a river. It is surrounded by the Moson Danube and the Old Danube. The village was united from two villages, Zseli and Darnó, in 1934. The two villages were mentioned first in a written document in 1443. It was mentioned first in one of the charters of the Hédervári counts. The form in which they appeared were: Darnow and Selew, Seli. These names have Slavic origin, and presumably they refer to the occupation of the inhabitants. (Darnow meaning lawn, and Seli meaning cabbage). The inhabitants were shepherds, and they grew cabbage. Prince Géza donated the Szigetköz to the brothers Héder and Wofger, they were the ones, who facilitated the foundation of the villages of the Szigetköz. Darnó and Zseli became populated in the 13th century., and the Ottomans in the 16th and 17th centuries ravaged the villages several times. The village until 1788 belonged to the diocese of Hédervár, it got its first own parish priest in September, 1788. In 1857, Héder Viczay claimed his territories, woods and allowances back from the servants.
Until 1884 the village belonged to Pozsony county, the district of Dunaszerdahely. During the Rákóczi war of independence both sides ravaged the villages. In 1809, the soldiers of Napoleon requisited the villages, and set both villages on fire. A memorial from this era is the monument - erected in 1818 - of a Polish-French soldier, who lost his life here. The church with the parish was built in 1787, in the cemetery of the village. The first Catholic school was built in 1805. In the 1860’s the Karácsony family built the chapel of Saint John. Its Neoclassic church was built in 1930. There has been a lot of inundations, fires and epidemics.
On January, 1st, 1934 two villages Mosondarnó and Zseli were united to form Darnózseli. The famous inhabitants of the village was Dr. Mihály Karácsony, who was a pioneer of Hungarian technical education, and István Érsek, teacher. In the school there is a permanent exhibition about the Szigetköz. Near the cemetery there are lime trees, which were planted in 1896, as a part of the celebrations of the Millenium. Here we can find also the memorial of the soldiers who were killed in the Second World War. In the Jewish cemetery, a memorial tablet commemorates the victims of the Holocaust. Near the road of 1404 there are chestnut trees, which were planted in the 1930’s.
The surroundings of Darnózseli are very important in biology. The forest of Zseli is found here, surrounded by the Danube (Hidegkúti branch) and the Parázsszeg-dűlő. The forest is interesting, because in a relatively small area we can both find soft woods (lime tree, alder, aspen) and hard woods (oak, ash-tree, elm). The forest is under protection. The forest probably has never been inundated, as it has some unique species of vegetational history.
There is a choir of the senior citizens of the village and a dance company. Our living folk artist is Anna Sipos, who weaves cornhusks. She received the Award of Folk Art in 1986.