National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Daraboshegy [¤]
Click to zoom

Daraboshegy

(Vas County)

The coat of arms of Daraboshegy is a shield erect with a pointed base. It bears: azure, a tower in pale argent with five merlons, two loopholes and a stone-framed open gate.

Until 1870, Daraboshegy was recorded in documents as part of Halogy. However, as revealed by research into the past, the settlement had been known as the dwelling possession of the Nádasd clan as early as the 13th century onward. Our sources include several members of the Darabos branch of the Nádasd clan, mostly known from the history of the county. Among them the most renowned was György Nádasdi Darabos, abbot of the monastery at Szentgotthárd in the mid-15th century.

This is the reason why, prior to the 19th century, Daraboshegy did not use a seal of its own, as proved by a village certificate, a document written at Halogy Daraboshegy but endorsed with the seal of Halogy village.

Although we have not been able to find a written document about the separation of the two villages, the date on the seal made in 1870 clearly indicates the year when Daraboshegy became independent. The legend of the round seal of 28 mm in diameter bears the script DARABOSHEGY KÖZSÉG 1870. (község = village) In the middle of the seal there is a tower with five merlons and two loopholes.

This seal remained in use until the turn of the 19th century. Some time in the 80’s and 90’s of the 19th century, presumably by the orders of the district magistrate, all the villages had new rubber seals made. It was then that a new seal, the print of which has survived on a document dated 1894, was also made. This round-shaped seal only bears the script VASVÁRMEGYE KÖRMENDI JÁRÁS DARABOSHEGYKÖZSÉG (Vas Comitat District of Körmend Daraboshegy Village).

In Vas Comitat the registration of the names of the villages took place in 1907. On this occasion every village had new seals made. This would have made it possible for Daraboshegy to take the sign of its old seal over to the new one as the village coat of arms. Unfortunately, the magistrates did not lay an emphasis on this and only had the simplest seal made, which bore nothing else apart from the legend. This seal, bearing the legend VAS VÁRMEGYE DARABOSHEGY KÖZSÉG 1907 remained in use until 1950, when the soviet-type system of councils was introduced. Following this, the village seals were standardized and Daraboshegy, together with Halogy, belonged to a common council. It is no wonder that the old village symbol faded into oblivion.

It is supposed that in 1870, when Daraboshegy formed as an independent village, the tower motive of its seal was taken over from the seal of the comitat; however, it cannot be proven by documented evidence. Despite or rather because of this, we feel that now, when there is another opportunity for the symbolic representation of the independence of our village, it would be worthy of consideration to re-establish the village coat of arms of 1870 in its rights.

Based on the arguments put forward above, we recommend that the village’s body of representatives approve of the creation of the coat of arms as described below:

Shield erect with a pointed base. It bears: azure, a tower in pale argent with five merlons, two loopholes and a stone-framed open gate.

The colours of the village flag will always follow the tinctures of the coat of arms. Accordingly, provided that no other tradition exists in the village, the colours of the village flag are blue and silver (azure and argent). On the flag the metal silver (argent) is to be replaced by the colour white. The positioning of the coat of arms on the flag is shown in Appendix 6.