National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Csorvás [¤]
Click to zoom

Csorvás

(The County of Békés)

The ears of wheat held in the hand express the local people's attachment to their land; a symbolic representation that appeared on the settlement's seal as early as the 19th century. It is a reminder of the strenuous work done by farmers, servants, day labourers and later by the members of the co-operative farms, as well as a symbol of thanksgiving to God for blessing our village with such conditions that have always made it possible for our daily bread to be produced.

The flower in the shield base is the Transylvanian chamomile, which in Central Europe is only to be seen at Csorvás. It symbolically calls our attention to protect our environment and to safeguard our assets.

The history of Csorvás goes back to the middle of the Árpádian age (1000-1301). As proven by archeological finds, in the 12th century the settlement already had a church built of stone.

The town has a coat-of-arms as well as a flag. The coat-of-arms is a shield erect party per fess, with a pointed base. The colour blue (azure) of the upper field expresses that the settlement belongs to the county Békés, since the colours of the county are the blue (azure) and the white (argent). In the upper field, which occupies two thirds of the shield, a hand is borne. This motif refers to the Ábrahámffy family, who owned Csorvás for about 150 years from 1458, when King Mátyás (Mathias) bestowed it on them as a reward for the merits of Tamás Ábrahámffy of Gerla during the fights against the Turks. The Ábrahámffys' coat-of-arms bore an arm holding a coronet. On the seal of Csorvás, which was legally reorganised in 1857, the arm holds five ears of wheat, whereas the date 1856 beneath it refers to the foundation year of the village's first administrative body. The coat-of-arms, bearing an arm with a full bunch of wheat, first appeared in 1877, on a tablecloth embroidered for the silver wedding anniversary of Emperor Franz Joseph I. In 1901, based on the provisions of the rule issued by the Minister of the Interior, the names and emblems of the settlements were reviewed. As a result, from that time onwards the coat-of-arms has been bearing three ears of wheat in the clenched fist of the right arm. The colour green (vert) of the lower field symbolises that Csorvás, having been destroyed twice in the course of history, for many centuries used to be a puszta (land with scattered farmsteads) and the pasture of the cattle of other villages. During this period the puszta was owned by the Harruckern family and their heirs. In the mid-19th century Csorvás was resettled by serfs from Gyula, and officially became a village in 1856.

The present-day coat-of-arms was ordered to be designed by the local body of representatives in 1993. The town's flag bears the colours blue and white which, as is the case with the coat-of-arms, is a reference to the settlement's belonging to the county Békés.