National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Csorna [¤]
Click to zoom


(The County of Győr-Moson-Sopron)

The coat-of-arms is a shield argent framed or, with the base curved to a point. The base tinctured vert covers one fourth of the field. On the ground vert St Anthony of Padua erect, habited in a monk's garments gules and an amice vert, aureoled or, holding in the dexter hand a lily stalk vert with three blooms argent.

On his sinister arm the infant Jesus crowned or, partly covered with a veil argent, raising his dexter hand to make a vow. The bare parts of the bodies are proper.

The settlement came into being at the time of the Magyar conquest of Hungary. In the Middle Ages it was a serf village owned by families descending from the Osl clan as well as by the Premonstratensian Order, which was settled by these families at the end of the 12th century. Whereas one part of the village, called Prépostszer, was possessed by the provostship uninterruptedly, the lords of the other part (Hercegszer) often changed.

At the end of the 15th century the Csornai family died out. They were followed as landlords by the Thuróczis and Thurzós, then by the Töröks of Enying. From 1618 the owner was Miklós Nyári, but in 1624 the village was acquired through marriage by the palatine, Count Miklós Esterházy. Following this, the settlement was for a long time possessed by the family's princely branch. This is what explains for the name Hercegszer (herceg means prince).

Csorna was destroyed by the Turks two times. It was only their expulsion from Hungary that the village started to develop again. The tax register of 1715 already mentions Csorna as a market town.

Csorna as a village dwelled by serfs did not have a coat-of-arms of its own. The magistrates of Hercegszer used the seals authorised by the landlord. These seals were ornamented with the images of tools used in agriculture, including the coulter, the ploughshare, the rake, or the spade with the tip of the blade pointing downwards.

The Premonstratensian provostship at Csorna, bearing the name of St Michael, was entrusted with notarial functions from the foundation until 1874. Its status as a body with such authorisation was first dealt with in the statute of 1351. The right of the provostship to perform such duties was confirmed in 1393 by King Sigismund, who also granted the place an authorised seal, further confirmed by King Ulászló (Vladislav) in 1495. This oval-shaped seal bears the legend +S.CONVENTUS DE CHERNA OSLONIS, whereas the charge on the left is the kneeling St Michael, holding an incense-burner in his right hand. The legend ends in a square shield bearing a single-headed eagle (the armorial bearings of King Sigismund's family). The word Oslonsis is a reminder of the founder of the provostship, Bailiff Osl.

The seal of the market town of Csorna was first adorned in 1852 with the image of St Anthony of Padua, holding a five-branched lily in the right hand and Jesus with the globe in the left.

The rank of market town ceased in 1871, but in Csorna's seal the figure of St Anthony was still retained until 1945. In a decree by the Presidential Council, Csorna was raised to the rank of town in 1971. This was the year that the settlement's first urban coat-of-arms was made. The present coat-of-arms was adopted in 1992 by the body of representatives of the local authority as the official emblem of the town, thus returning to the depiction of St Anthony of Padua.