National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Csepreg [¤]
Click to zoom

Csepreg

(The County of Vas)

In the field azure of the triangular shield with a pointed base a triple-towered town wall argent. The middle tower, which is at the same time the gate tower, is taller than the other two. All the three towers are borne with covered, crenellated defensive battlements. On each tower there are three windows, all sectioned by dividers. The delineation of the town wall suggests a wooden palisade, along the top of which an embattled and crenellated defensive gallery is borne. In the middle of the palisaded wall, under the middle tower there is a town gate with a portcullis. The gate is open and the portcullis is hoisted, which refers to the settlement's openness and readiness of admission, as well as to the hospitality of its dwellers.

The first authentic charge of Csepreg's coat-of-arms dates back to 1360. It bears close resemblance to the coats-of-arms of Sopron, Buda and other towns of mediaeval origin. Historical data bear evidence of the fact that Csepreg was, from the mid-13th century at the latest, a town (civitas) inhabited by privileged, mainly German-speaking hospes (meaning guests). This is referred to by the parish church being named after St Nicholas, a widespread practice among market towns in the Middle Ages, by the settlement's characteristically quadrangular market square, and by the geometrical layout of its streets. Csepreg was a royal borough until 1390, when King Sigismund handed it over to the Kanizsai family. From this time to the end of the 19th century it was a market town (oppidum). The coat-of-arms illustrates the one-time significance of the settlement when, in the 13-14th centuries, Csepreg was the most important centre of the southern part of the county of Sopron, and was competing for the leading role as one among the many rivalling settlements.