National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the the Municipality of Csanádpalota [*** ¤]
Click to zoom

Csanádpalota

(The County of Csongrád)

The municipality of Csanádpalota decided on creating its symbols in 1993.

Shield tierced per bend, base curved to a point.

Dexter azure, on a base vert a four-windowed church argent, at the dexter end a single-windowed tower, the spire and roof gules. Spire surmounted by an orb, chancel by a cross fusil, all or. Bend argent, charged with five larks azure, contourné, borne bendwise.

Sinister gules, on a triple-pointed mount a raven sable, displayed, borne at a slant, holding in its beak a signet ring or.

Across the top a tilting helmet proper, borne at a quarter slant, round the gorget a medaillon, crested with a triple-verdured open crown, all or. Mantling: dexter gules and or, sinister azure and argent.

This coat-of-arms falls within the category of canting arms. The heraldic symbol of the Hunyadi family, the raven on the top of the triple-pointed mount relates to the fact that the municipality, the area of which has been inhabited ever since the Magyar conquest of Hungary, used to be possessed by Governor János Hunyadi and his family. The church, the present image of which was first borne on the seal of the village in 1756, symbolises the development following the resettlement after the period of the Turkish rule.

The five larks are a reminder of the village's one-time brilliant artist, László Kelemen. He became Hungary's first theatre manager who, with his ensemble, appeared on the stage all over the country. Yet it was the inn addressed 'To the Five Larks' in Szeged where they made most of their appearances. The town of Szeged later paid homage to László Kelemen by naming a street after him.

Pictures:

1. László Kelemen Emlékpark, a memorial park in the old cemetery, bearing the name of the theatre manager László Kelemen

2. Built in 1927 as the district magistrate's office and lodging, this building now houses the kitchen that caters for the kindergarten, the school and the senior citizens' home

3. The Village Hall, built in 1896