National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Municipality of Csákvár [¤]
Click to zoom

Csákvár

(County Fejér)

The village's coat-of-arms consists of a shield, a helmet, a coronet, a crest and mantling, according to an arrangement as is described below.

Renaissance shield azure; a ploughshare argent bladed to the sinister, flanked on both sides by flower buds gules stalked sable. Across the top a tournament helmet argent; between the bars four apertures gules. For the crest a coronet or. The mantling on both sides of the shield is borne as a stylised floral ornament vert.

The history of the village of Csákvár dates back to the 13th century. In the 1300s the settlement was owned by the Csák clan. The legend on the seal originating from the Ugod branch of the clan bears a lion contourné. The official seal of the village is to be seen on a document dated 23 January 1692. It bears an assymetrical ploughshare bladed to the sinister of the field of a Renaissance shield enfiled by the legend CAKVAR FALV PECETI (meaning seal of the village Csákvár). The shield is crested with a helm and a treble plume, whereas the mantling reaches to the middle of the shield on both sides. The shield is flanked on each side by a flower.

The ancient origin of the seal is proven by its heraldic unity, since the composition, by observing heraldic traditions, includes all the elements of a full achievement (shield, charge, helm across the top crested with a coronet with plumes above). The form of the shield is Renaissance (couped at point, pierced flanche-wise, the rounded base curved to a point). This seal of Csákvár's is definitely superior to the average quality of contemporary seals used by villages and market towns of the day.

Between 1645 and 1945 the estate at Csákvár was owned by the more ancient branch of the Esterházy family (i.e. that of counts, as opposed to the ducal branch; translator's note).

Their arms bear: azure, a griffin crowned or erect on a coronet, holding in the dexter talon a sword, in the sinister talon three roses gules gilded or and stalked vert. Across the shield top a helmet, and for the crest the repetition of the shield charge. Mantling (borne as a foliated floral ornament): dexter or and azure, sinister or and gules.

In the village a variant of this coat-of-arms, without the helmet, can be seen on the Esterházy mansion's (now a hospital) facade overlooking the park belonging to it. In addition, the arms are also borne on the facade of the Roman Catholic church; moreover, there are two more copies to be found within the church above the oratory, whereas another copy made of stone is kept in the local museum.