In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
The lion rampant queue fourché was first blazoned on the seals of Alsó (Lower) and Közép (Middle) Bük, the three ears of wheat are borne in the family coat-of-arms of Pál Nagy of Felső-Bük, whereas the rank coronet can be found on Alsó-Bük's earliest seal as well as on that of Felső-Bük.
The lion and the coronet symbolise the fact that the three Büks were villages dwelt by nobles for centuries. The three ears of wheat refer to agriculture, an activity which was decisive in the life of the settlement earlier, and which is still important today. The motif that the three ears of wheat are held in one hand is a symbolic representation of the unification of the three villages.
The bar wavy or represents Bük's River Répce; the tincture also refers to the village's medicinal waters.
The municipality of Bük is located in Hungary's westernmost part, in the north of the county Vas, in the valley of the winding River Répce, at a distance of 27 km from Szombathely, 40 km from Sopron and 20 km from Kőszeg.
With its green belt and tree-lined flowery streets, this settlement of a population barely exceeding 3,000 awaits visitors at the meeting point of Kisalföld (lowland) and Alpokalja (subalpine region).
The municipality of today came into being in 1902 with the unification of the slowly merging Alsó (Lower), Közép (Middle) and Felső (Upper) Bük. Közép-Bük already existed in the age of the Árpád dynasty (1000-1301). It was here that a Romanesque church, now a listed historical monument, was built.
Alsó and Felső-Bük used to be dwelt by lesser nobles. From the remaining nobiliary houses the mansion built by the Nagy family of Felső-Bük stands out with its beauty. The best-known member of this family was Pál Nagy of Felső-Bük, renowned for his eloquent speeches in Parliament. It was at the parliamentary session of 1825 (famous for introducing reforms) that after his inflammatory speech delivered in the interest of creating a "National Scientific Association" the young Count István Széchenyi stood up and offered his annual income in order that the Hungarian Academy of Sciences be founded.
The church of the Lutherans, a considerable part of the settlement's population, was consecrated at Alsó-Bük in 1785. It is also a listed building.
What made Bük's name world famous is its medicinal bath, situated in a nicely laid out park of 35 hectares. The complex, which includes nine outdoor and four indoor swimming pools, as well as a 50 by 20 metre sports pool, offers a variety of possibilities for visitors. It is owned by Büki Gyógyfürdő (Thermal Bath) Ltd.
The settlement's thermal springs and wells yield medicinal water containing alkaline hydrogen carbonate, but its fluoride, iodine and iron content is also considerable.
This medicinal water is used in the form of bath for the treatment of rheumatic and orthopaedic diseases as well as traumatic injuries, as a drinking cure for various gastro-enteric disorders, and in the form of inhalation for the treatment of catarrhs in the respiratory organs.