National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Bóly [¤]
Click to zoom

Bóly

(County Baranya)

Shield erect with a doubly concave top and convex sides sloping to a pointed base. It bears: azure, a triple mound vert with three bars wavy argent in base. Above the bars in the middle the figure of St John of Nepomuc in pale or, partly surmounting the middle mound. Issuing from the lower mounds, a cabbage flower stalked vert and bloomed or on the dexter side and a propped vine-stock with leaves vert and two large bunches of grape or on the sinister side respectively. Above the cabbage flower an eight-pointed star argent in the dexter chief. The cabbage flower refers to the one-time chief occupation of the Magyar settlers, the star symbolises the Calvinist villagers, whereas the vine-stock is a reference to viticulture, one of the main branches of production by the Germans, who introduced propping in viticulture.

Across the top a coronet fleurs-de-lis or, as a reminder of the ducal Montenuovo family, one-time landlords of the area. Beneath the shield a wreath composed of ears of wheat and a corn-stalk leaved and tasseled, symbolising present-day agricultural production.

Beneath the wreath on a scroll the motto BÓLY 1996 is borne.

As of 1 July 1997, the municipality of Bóly was granted the rank of town by the President of the Republic of Hungary.

Bóly's first written document is a title deed from 1093 issued by King St László, which mentions the settlement as a church property by the name Bolok.

During the 150 years of Turkish occupation the village got nearly completely depopulated. From the late 17th century it became the centre of estate owned by the Batthyány family. From the 1730s onward, as a result of resettlement organised by the state, German serfs moved here, and the settlement was renamed Németbóly. The village began to develop quickly and, in addition to its prospering agriculture, it could boast handicrafts acknowledged all over the country. In 1771 Empress Maria Theresa raised Bóly to the rank of market town.

In the early 19th century the Batthyány estate got into the possession of the Montenuovo family through marriage. The ducal estate of the Montenuovos pioneered the implementation of up-to-date agricultural technology, and was famous for horse breeding and cattle raising, as well as the production of cheese.

The forced resettlement that followed the second world war changed the ethnic composition of Bóly. The descendants of the German families, who had been living here for two centuries, were driven out of their native land and were replaced with Hungarian families from Upper Hungary (now belonging to Slovakia). At present 60 per cent of the population is German-speaking.

After 1945 the former ducal estate was transformed into a state farm, which today is called Bólyi Mezőgazdasági és Kereskedelmi Rt (Agricultural and Commercial Company Ltd.). Its outstanding activities include the growing of soybean and seed grain, as well as animal husbandry. The settlement has also managed to keep some of its crafts and town-like features. Apart from the continuously expanding industrial and commercial enterprises and services, a built-in industrial area is also awaiting new investors.

The institutions of Bóly have always been well-developed. On many occasions, the settlement's administrative, educational, welfare and cultural institutions started to operate prior to the national average. In 1996 the 110-year-old scheme of the training of skilled workers was re-introduced. In 1982 the local primary school was the first in Hungary to elaborate and introduce the syllabus of German-Hungarian bilingual education. In 1995, specialisation in music was added to lower primary education.

The town's intellectual life is influenced by the high level of local economy. On weekdays and holidays alike, the traditions and cultures of both ethnicities manifest themselves.

With the rows of houses, groves and parks the appearance of Bóly is characterised by orderly small town-like features reflecting 19th-century bourgeois characteristics. Today all this is complemented by a well-developed infrastructure.