In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Hajdú-Bihar)
Biharkeresztes is one of the county's settlements that were mentioned by documents at a very early age. In 1214 it was referred to as Fancsal, whereas in 1374 it was called Keresztes, with one half belonging to the master of the Holy Cross Altar at Várad, the other half to the Chapter of Várad. Later, in 1552, it was owned by the Bishop of Várad, who kept it as a possession nearly until 1848. The villagers converted to Calvinism in the 16th century.
During the troubled times of the 17th century the village got depopulated, but following the expulsion of the Turks it was populated again, with 75 serf families recorded in the register of 1720.
Since the dwellers made their living out of agriculture, the settlement's old heraldic charges mostly symbolised the villagers' attachment to the land; the coulter, the sickle and the wheat sheaf would have been borne on seals dating back to olden times. The legends that the old seals bore make it possible for the changes in the settlement's name to be traced down. As proved by the legend of the seal of 1820, the name of Biharkeresztes had changed into Mezőkeresztes, and it was only at the registration of the country's settlements that the village acquired its recent name.
In the 19th century the settlement was the seat of the Sárrét district. Later it became the seat of the Mezőkeresztes district and held this position until 1970, when the district of Biharkeresztes ceased to exist.
The settlement was raised to the rank of town in 1989. The coat-of-arms, the description of which follows below, was designed in 1994.
The coat-of-arms is a shield party per fess azure and gules, couped en pointe, pierced flanche-wise, the base curved to a point. In the middle of the upper field azure a cross or. On the upper limb a Sun argent topped by a seven-pointed star or. The cross primarily refers to the posterior constituent of the town's name (kereszt means cross), but it also symbolises the Roman Catholic community, which reappeared at the beginning of the 19th century. On the other hand, the Sun and the star are the symbolic representations of the Calvinist communion, dominant from the second half of the 16th century onwards.
In the lower field gules, on a convex base vert the distinctive symbols of agriculture, still the most typical activity in the settlement's life, are borne: a garb or borne in pale in the middle, flanked by a coulter argent pointed upward on the dexter, and a sickle argent bladed to the dexter and handled toward the ground on the sinister.