In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Hajdú-Bihar)
The coat-of-arms is a shield erect azure, the base curved to a point. In the base a fish naiant argent. Above it a lion rampant or, armed and langued gules. Above the top of the shield an open helmet of five bars argent, borne at a slant to the dexter, crested with a five-pointed crown verdured or. The mantling is azure and or on the dexter, gules and argent on the sinister.
Written data with regard to the settlement go back to the end of the 13th century. In the 16th century Berettyóújfalu was landowners' private possession. By historical tradition, the granting of Haiduk privileges to the settlement (whereby it was raised to the rank of town) goes back to the reign of István Bocskay, although this fact cannot be proved by evidence. It was only under Gábor Báthory, Prince of Transylvania, that Berettyóújfalu in fact got into the hands of the Haiduk. By the charter of the Prince of Transylvania dated 23 May 1608 at Gyulafehérvár, one hundred Haiduk warriors commanded by Lieutenant Gergely Nadányi obtained Berettyóújfalu and Szentkozma. The latter one remained a farmstead-like possession.
Only the duplicate of the charter has survived, but unfortunately it does not contain any description referring to the settlement's coat-of-arms. However, since the copy is in fact a draft version of the original, it cannot be excluded that the bestowal of the land possession took place together with the granting of a coat-of-arms. The town's oldest coat-of-arms is known by a seal, which is to be found, for instance, in a letter from 1666, written to Ferenc Vér. The quality of the seal is, unfortunately, very poor, and the legend is unintelligible; yet the charge, a rider borne reversed, can be identified. Nevertheless, a document from 1734 features a different charge, a lion rampant. This charge, like the former one, is aimed at representing military virtues, and was probably made in 1697.
Around the turn of the 17th and the 18th centuries, by becoming part of the Esterházy estate, Berettyóújfalu shared the lot of other minor Haiduk towns in Bihar. However, as is attested by the charge of the coat-of-arms, the settlement did not forget about its one-time privileges.
Here the coat-of-arms of the village of Berettyószentmárton is also to be mentioned. Although this settlement never was a Haiduk town, today it is part of Berettyóújfalu. The charge of its coat-of-arms is known by a seal made in 1850, which bore a fish naiant, whereas above the water two ears of wheat were borne in a green field. The settlement's coat-of-arms thus refers to the characteristic features of a serf village situated in the region called Sárrét, on the bank of the Berettyó, a river abundant in fish.
Berettyóújfalu's present coat-of-arms, complemented with that of Berettyószentmárton, symbolises those close links between the settlements which, hopefully, will last for ever.
01. County Hall
02. Museum of Bihar
03. Calvinist Church
04. Shell Statue
05. Turul Bird Monument by night
06. Rowing Pond
07. Calvinist Church of St. Martin
09. New post office building
10. Swimming pool