National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Municipality of Békésszentandrás [* ¤]
Click to zoom

Békésszentandrás

(The County of Békés)

Situated in the county of Békés, in the one-time flood area of the River Hármas-Körös, the village of Békésszentandrás has been inhabited since ancient times.

The coat-of-arms is marshalled. Chief shield erect, quarterly of argent and azure, the base curved to a point. In the first field argent two bars vert; all the bands formulated this way are surmounted on the dexter by a cross saltire (St Andrew's cross) argent, bordured vert. In the second field azure a lion rampant argent, borne reversed and alaisé, armed or, queue fourché, raising in the sinister paw a three-pointed open crown verdured or. The third field is identical with the second. In the fourth field argent two bars vert again; all the bands formulated this way are surmounted by an arrow-head argent of the width of a bar, pointed to the dexter (this is the conventional symbol of dams in the terminology of water management).

Inescutcheon erect, the base curved to a point. In the field argent a raven sable, borne statant and alaisé, holding in the beak a ring or.

Over the chief shield (and not across it), issuing from ribbons or a strongly stylised five-pointed (between three oak leaves two acorns) open crown verdured or.

The shield is supported on each side by a lion rampant and counter-rampant, armed, borne over a prolific fabric of ribbons, all or.

Under the ribbons a motto scroll reading 'Békésszentandrás' in block capitals is borne.

This ornamental symbol referring to the settlement's historical past was designed in 1994 by the graphic artist Mátyás Sinka, a native of the village.

Situated by trunk road number 44, our village is the gate to the county of Békés for those who arrive from the direction of Budapest. Békésszentandrás and its environs have been inhabited for thousands of years, due to their favourable location. The River Körös gave shelter and means of living to the dwellers who settled here. In the 1100s the place served as quarters, and since 1287 its name appeared in recorded history as well. In 1384, King Sigismund bestowed it as a fief on Hunyadi, voivod of Transylvania. His heir, King Mathias, considered the parish as a crown possession, and granted it the status of market town. Later, in the 1480s, the settlement became the centre of a domain and was granted significant privileges.

In 1484, King Mathias gave the domain to his son János Corvin, a man famous for his generous mood for bestowals, who, in return for some alleged help or support, presented it to András Dánfi in 1494. Since Dánfi died without an heir, the estate passed to his brother Márton. In 1596, the Tartar raiders destroyed the settlement, and the area of the one-time flourishing market town was left uncultivated for long years. In the middle of the 1600s the village dwellers were protected by György Rákóczi, prince of Transylvania. In 1689, however, following a plague epidemic, the settlement got completely depopulated, and was again mentioned by chroniclers only after it had been resettled in 1719. Led by the local magistrate Mihály Vértessy, in 1735 the population revolted against being exploited by the landlord. The uprising spread all through the county, thus it became the most significant peasant revolt of the 18th century. The event made the name Szentandrás, changing several times during the centuries, known and memorable for ever.

The name Szentandrás is associated with the last king of the Árpád dynasty, Endre (Andrew) III, whose deed of gift mentions three churches, one of which bore the name of the apostle St Andrew. Following several alterations, the settlement was referred to by documents as Körös-Szentandrás. It was in 1895 that the parish obtained its recent name Békésszentandrás. During the period of industrialisation, probably due to the lack of a railway line, the area kept its traditional characteristic features, which now offer excellent opportunities for the development of tourism.

The regulation of the rivers Körös resulted in the river beds getting further away, which made the character of the settlement change considerably. The dam opened in 1942 on the Hármas-Körös north of the village made it possible for the river, formerly winding its way waywardly through the settlement, to become a peaceful water surface, outstandingly suitable for sports activities and relaxation alike.

The population is primarily engaged in agriculture, but the village is also the place where the world-famous Persian carpet knotted by hand is made.

Gödény-halom

Hungary's largest Cuman mound is to be found in the county of Békés, within the administrative area of Békésszentandrás, by the old road leading to Szentes, in the one-time flood area of the River Hármas-Körös.

The exact dimensions of Gödény-halom are the following:

Height: 12.26 m (40.22 ft) (97.26 m [319.10 ft] as measured from a contour line of 85 m above sea level)

Nappe size (length): 160 m (524.95 ft)

Early (18-19th century) literature also mentions a height of 15 m (49.2 ft). The reason why the mound acquired this name (gödény means pelican) was that out of the swampy area that used to surround the mound, pelicans would often emerge and perch on it. Presumably the mound might have been a burial place from the Copper Age. Unfortunately, part of the northern side was used for the building of roads and the dam.

The mound is covered with an unbroken field of grass of not remarkably valuable quality, which would sometimes be utilised by grazing. The lower part of the southeastern side is covered with a recently planted forest of locust trees. On the top there is a cartographic sign.

The Cuman mound, situated 7 kilometres away from the inner area of Békésszentandrás, is accessible on the old road to Szentes.

Destinations for hikers (on foot or by bycicle)

- The dam (3 km, 1.86m)

- The arboretum (at Szarvas) (5 km, 3.1m)

- Gödény-halom (7 km, 4.3m)

Facilities for sports and bathing

- Sports ground

- The boat house of the kayak-canoe section of the sport club (water sport facilities available for hire)

- Open air bath/lido (entry free)

Facilities for anglers

- Hármas-Körös (live water)

- Hármas-Körös (backwater)

Angling permits and day tickets are available at the Anglers' Office (Horgásziroda) in the yard of the Parish Hall.