National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Békés
Click to zoom

Békés

(County of Békés)

The coat-of-arms of Békés bears: azure, a dexter arm couped, embowed, vambraced argent, holding a swallow-tailed pennon gules staffed and edged or, and adorned with four plates (roundels argent) borne next to the staff. Across the top a barred helm affronty argent with a five-pointed open crown verdured or thereon( and for the crest a dexter arm embowed vambraced argent holding a drawn scimitar argent. Mantling: gules and argent on the dexter side, azure and or on the sinister side.

In spring of 1596 Békés had been destroyed by Tartars, so it became uninhabited. Because of this the story of the old town has come to the end. Knowing the news the of coming Tartars András deák took the seal and patent of the town to Nagyvárad, but two years later by the time of the attack of Nagyvárad those were dilapidated too. (Source: Dr. Karácsonyi János: The story of Békés county). From his time only printed seal representations can be found. In the only authentic research - which was the research of arms and seals collection by Alterburger Gusztáv - Réső Ensel Sándor in 1906 -, the letter of donation of the arms wasn't found, so the meaning of symbols - which can be found in the arms aren't known. It's known that it is originated from the beginning of the years of 1700, and a man's arm holding an attendant's flag can be seen on the shield.

History:

Archaeological excavations explore the origins of culture associated with the Tisza river. Significant archaeology was left over in the Békés area including tools, pottery, arms and jewellery. Scythians, Celts, Jasygs, Vandals and then Goths inhabited the area, later on, from the fourth century, Huns were followed by Gepids from the sixth century onwards. Avars already built mottes, then came Slavs to settle down. One of the mottes built by the latter was taken over by Hungarians conquering the land. Our ancestors found rich fields and hedges offering shelter here. With the arrival of Hungarians, the valleys of the Körös rivers underwent considerable changes. By the end of the tenth century, the two large reeve municipalities followed later on by the formation of the two large counties, Bihar and Békés, had been established. The organisation of royal counties was not very easy as the places that were hard to access appeared to hinder the work of Christian missionaries. The communities living in separation from one another over long periods of time preserved their pagan beliefs for quite a while. At the time of the Árpád kings, Békés was a centre of ecclesiastic and secular administration, and also the regional centre of economic and cultural life. The settlement made a major step toward urbanisation in 1405 when it received the right of organizing markets. Economic power of the town stemmed from its realtively developed agriculture compared to that of the given era, and the handicraft that was becoming increasingly important alongside with cattle breeding. The period between 1452 and 1566 is that of prosperity of an agricultural town. At the time there were around 2500 inhabitants in the town, basically engaged in animal husbandry and agriculture, although growing vine was also important.

Reformation probably got rooted as early as in 1535, and István Szegedi Kis organized a Reformist congregation and a Reformist school in 1552. Following the taking of Gyula, Békés was also occupied by the Turks. When the Turks were expelled form Hungary, Békés had to face hardship once again. The period of the Rákóczi liberation war brought with it the emptying of the town. Rákóczi relocated the population from Békés to Sarkad in 1709. Following the Szatmár Treaty, however, rapid development began. The book of records of Békés has been maintained since 1714. Half of the population of the town died at the time of the pest of 1738. There was some degree of progress in the development of the town in the last quarter of the 18th century, when the number of handcraftsmen started to grow. In 1816, the first independent guild of Békés was formed. Big floods damaged the settlement in 1814 and in 1816. When the news came about the revolution of 1848, here, too, a congregation was held and the squire was forced to agree to provide for allowances. A characteristic activity of the second half of the nineteenth century was the regulation of the Körös rivers - the largest investment of the empire accomplished uner the supervision of Pál Vásárhelyi. Békés lost its rank of town in 1872 and was assigned to the list of large villages. As regards communication, Békés appeared in a disadvantageous position that was not effectively compensated for later on when river traffic was started.

New and characteristic buildings were erected at the beginning of the 20th century. The high school was built in 1903, to be followed in 1904 by the town hall and in 1913 by the two-storey palace that stood on the area of the present-day Dübögő. The period of prosperity ended with the onset of the first world war. The inhabitants were enthusiastic supporters of the Council Republic was turned down. Slow industrialisation is recorded between the two world wars. It was in that period that the Agricultural Distilling Factory, the Stillhouse Cooperativbe of Békés Smallholders, The Basket and Wickerwork Furniture Factory, and the mill were built. Agriculture produced a relatively impressive growth. The number of inhabitants exceeded 32 thousand people in the 1940'. The village tried to develop on its own resources but that was possible only when the town regained its rank in 1973. Then came a period of experimenting with industrializing the town in order to provide as many workers with jobs as possible, but those initiatives appeared little viable at the time of the change of political system.

Pictures:

01. Élővíz Canal

02. Museum Square

03. The Kettős-Körös River in winter

04. The Calvinist church and the town's Christmas tree

05. The Block of Flats

06. The icon wall in the Greek Catholic church of Békés

07. Roman Catholic church in Békés

08. Basket-weaver in Békés

09. Musical Festival of Békés-tarhos

10. The Erzsébet Park near the Élővíz Canal.

11. Bicycle tour of the double Körös

12. Days of Madzagfalva

13. Village house

14. Cultural centre of the town