National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Bátaszék
Click to zoom

Bátaszék

(The County of Tolna)

This more than 850 year old settlement, from the beginning of the 15th century a market-town must have had already in the Middle Ages a seal, together with it a coat of arms, but this hasn't survived.

The famous abbey called Cikador determined the fate of the market-town during the whole Middle Ages. We have only sporadic relics from the abbey, so it is understandable, that we have less relics from the market-town. We don't even know the seal of abbey from the first centuries of the Middle Ages in spite of the fact that it carried out a true activity. Its abbots used a seal, documents were given during he 13th and at the first half of the 14th the century too. We know for instance the seal owned by the abbot called Saint Steven. It has got a shape of almond where the legend became indistinct, but the abbot's standing figure can be seen nowadays too The seal of corporation where a picture of coat of arms can be seen from the second half of the 14th century survived on a document from 1482. This portrays Virgin Mary sitting on the throne and holding the child Jesus in her hands. Its legend is: S. Conventus Monast. I. De Cicador. Not this, but another seat was used by the abbey called Széki in the 1470-s, but this hasn't survived. The market town preserved its independence while the abbbey ruined. The history of its documents can be followed only from chasing the Turkish and from the beginning of the 18th century. On these documents is a coat of arms with a view used, which is determined first of all by the big buildings of the 18th century.

The today used coat of arms has already been seen on the seal of the 18th century and can be traced till the middle of the century. This coat of arms can be seen very well in the contract of Bátaszék (1774).

The seal has an oval shape and she size of 20 x 18 mm and consists of the picture of the seal and the legend. Its legend is SIGILL OPIDI. BATOSEK. In the picture there is an angled tower of door piled up from stones and bricks in the middle with a door, from which three towers of churches overlook. The cross on the spire makes it umambiguous. The representation of the coat of arms belongs to the coat of arms with view and it was made in the same way as the coat of arms of Báta and Decs, which are villages nearby Bátaszék. The man, who engraved the coat of arms must have looked at the market-town from south west direction where the south tower of door overlooked the view, in the middle there is the tower of the church right the serbish church,on the left the towers of the chapel Mary.

This seal was used by the council of Bátaszék till the middle of 18th century and in connection with the administrative reform of the Bach-system they got engrave a new seal, which first trace can be seen in a letter from 1855. It is interesting that when it was used first, it wasn't put into vax, it was put into ink. This seal became general from the second half of the 19th century. This is a round seal 36 mm in diameter. Its legend is: SIGILLIUM OPPIDI BÁTTASZÉK. We can see a castle with three towers and a tower of door. The stylized presentation refers here to church too, on the towers there is a cross.

The exact prescription of the coat of arms which is used nowadays is the following: there is a silver or white castle with red spires on a green shield bottom in blue field.

E-mail: bszekph@terrasoft.hu

Pictures:

1. The Mayor’s Office

2. The Mayor’s Office

3. Trinity Column, and the Woods and Forests Office

4. The head office of Búzakalász (Wheat Ear) Agricultural Co-op

5. The railway station

6. The railway station

7. A bird’s eye view