National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Balatonfűzfő [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Balatonfűzfő

(The County of Veszprém)

Balatonfűzfő, a settlement surrounded by hills covered with vineyards and forests, is situated in the northeastern corner of Lake Balaton.

Heater erect, argent. Issuing from a flat-topped mount vert adorned with three four-pointed stars borne in a triangle transposed a demi-willow sable rooted in the edges of the mount; issuant symmetrically from its pollarded four-cleft crown twelve leaved branches vert.

In spite of its utmost simplicity, this shield is a reminder of a great number of facts.

The mount itself symbolises the natural landscape with its wooded and vine-covered hills and mountains, as well as the golden sand of the lakeshore at their feet. The willow tree on it refers to the settlement's name. The willow used to be a native to the lakeside area, and the brook originating from a willow-covered grove, according to contemporary name-giving practice, received its name from this tree. Since in the Middle Ages the addition of the suffix -fő (caput rivuli or fluentis) was a possible way of name-giving, the word Fűzfő came into existence.

In addition, this source was an important point for orientation in the region; a land survey of 1082 relates that the boundary line of the property approaches the spring of Máma (ad fontem Mama), which may be identical with the previously mentioned Fűzfő. The trunk is also a representation of autonomy, the first step leading toward which was in 1958, when it became a settlement with self-administration. As the second step, in 1990 the local government was fully set up.

The branches growing out of the trunk signify that the settlement consists of at least twelve components in space and time. As regards the temporal aspect, it used to be a Celtic-Roman villa estate, an Avar settlement, the customs area of the nuns at Veszprémvölgy, a cultivated land (a document of 1270 mentions "two headlands for turning the plough at a place called Fűzfő"), the concept of which includes the farmers themselves; then a village called Máma with a church built in the 13th century (in ruins today), and finally an inn with a coach station from 1757. As regards the spatial aspect, the present municipality came into being as a union of eleven former units: Fűzfőfürdő, Izsótelep, Tripolisz telep, Alsómáma, Felsőmáma, Balatonfűzfő, Fűzfőgyártelep, Tobruk, Papvásár szőlőhegy, Szalmássy telep, and Vízművek lakótelep.

The five root branches symbolise the bases of local economy: the viticulture and agriculture significant from the Middle Ages, the income of the settlement as a resort since 1921, the industrial production (featuring from 1927 the production of gunpowder, then chemicals, as well as paper industry from 1929 onwards), the profit gained from tourism (since 1933 the official name has included the component üdülőtelep, meaning resort) and finally trade.

The fourfold crown on the trunk symbolises ideological unity and religious ecumenism, a typical feature of the place.

The colour green of the mount evokes the one-time Fűzfő-puszta, the raging Balaton, as well as the vineyards and forest-covered tops, which are all green.

The three golden stars illustrate the shining of the sandy shore and the trinity needed for keeping healthy: the clarity of air, water and sunshine. In addition, they symbolise the cores of the three most important settlements: Balatonfűzfő, Fűzfőgyártelep and Tobruk, around which the Balatonfűzfő of today was organised.

Photos:

01. Village

02. Post office

03. Jókai Elementary School

04. Port

05. Range

06. Landscape

07. Giant sequoia

08. The bay from Balatonalmádi

09. Bay

10. Bay

11. Öveges József Secondary school

12. Ruins

13. Beach

14. Landscape

15. Swimming pool

16. Bell

17. Memorial

E-mail: phbfuzfo@mail.matav.hu