National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Balatonföldvár [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Balatonföldvár

(The County of Somogy)

The history of the settlement goes back to the early Iron Age, and the charges of its coat-of-arms symbolise its past of three and a half thousand years.

Baroque shield erect, parti per fess. Chief parti per pale, base tierced en pairle. In dexter chief (first) and sinister base (fourth) or on a mount vert a tree truncated sable and leaved vert. In sinister chief (second) and dexter base (third) azure two barrulets wavy argent, surmounted by a sun or in splendour with ten rays. In wedged middle base argent on a field vert, in the middle between the palisades of an earthwork a mace tower, roofed and charged with five loopholes, all gules.

Across the top a barred helmet affronté, proper, lined gules and barred or, round the gorget on a ribbon a medaillon, all or. Helm ensigned with a five-pointed (verdured three with two pearls in between) crown verdured or, adorned with ruby and sapphire.

Mantling: dexter azure and or, sinister vert and argent.

The dominant tinctures of the coat-of-arms - azure and or - evoke the golden summer sun and the blue skies. The wavy white bands emphasise that the town is a lakeside resort as well as a medicinal spa. The golden disc of the sun is a familiar motif from the coat-of-arms of the founding Counts Széchenyi and, at the same time, it refers to the chapel of Our Lady (According to the Holy Script, the Virgin Mary is the Lady dressed in the Sun.)

The trees in the golden field are symbolical of the resort area opened to the public in 1896, as well as its 70-acre park which, together with the shady promenade along the shore, is the main feature shaping the character of the fast-growing settlement, raised to the rank of a town in 1992. It was awarded Prize of Europe in 1994, then in 1995 it received first prize in the competition called "Flowery Hungary".

The red earthwork in the white wedge of the base, the leitmotif of the coat-of-arms, refers to the period of the Celts (4th century BC), when a strong earthwork stood here, later conquered by the Avars and then by the Magyars. It was still mentioned in the 11th and the 14th centuries (1358). The green space outside the fort symbolises that the place was abandoned during the Turkish reign, yet it remained flourishing and its one-time fortification became the denominator of the new town.

The helmet evokes the two-and-a-half-thousand-year-long struggle of the dwellers and the local spirit (genius loci), while the crown symbolises autonomy.