National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Baktalórántháza [¤]
Click to zoom

Baktalórántháza

(Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County)

Shield erect and party per pale. In sinister field a fire breathing male lion passant, beast is holding a sword in its front paw. In dexter field a piece of ploughland is borne with a three-branched tree, and an eight-pointed star as main charges. Below the tree and the lion’s foot a horizontal line of partitioning. The dominant tinctures in Baktalórántháza’s coat-of-arms are argent (white) and vert (green).

Geography

Baktalórántháza is located in the centre of the Nyírség region, at a distance of 31 kilometres northeast of Nyíregyháza.The name Baktalórántháza was given to the settlement in 1931, when the two villages of Nyírbakta and Lórántháza were united. The town is easily accessible, since trunk road No. 41 and the Nyíregyháza-Vásárosnamény railway line run directly through the settlement.

An artesian spring was discovered in Baktalórántháza giving thermal water of 44 C? ; an asset, which is utilised by the local town bath. Int he vicinity the remaining area of the one-time Nyírség woods can boast the so-called Nagyerdő, full of botanical rarities, wild lillies-of-the-valley and English oak trees. In the park of the one-time Dégenfeld mansion many other rare species of trees can be found. Part of the 312-hectare wooded area near the settlement is under environmental protection.

History

As it is attested by archeological finds, Baktalórántháza is an ancient settlement, which was inhabited as early as the late Copper Age. Bakta was first mentioned in writing in 1271, in a deed of gift by King Steven V, in which he approves his father’s King Béla IV’s land donations to the archbishopric of Eger.The original name of Lórántháza was Lidér or Litér, a name, which was likely to have come into being in the 10-13th centuries from a person’s name. From 1847 onward Bakta was a market town. Between 1912 and 1970 it was an administrative regional centre. On January 1, 1988 the settlement was raised to the rank of municipality and it was directed from the county seat. On October 1, 1993 Baktalórántháza was raised to the rank of town. Today it serves as a regional centre and its economic and cultural zone of attraction comprises 15-20 settlements.

Architectural sights and cultural events

The most significant sight is the local Roman Catholic church. Considering its layout and its coloured and glazed brick walls the church was supposedly built in the second half of the 13th century. The Greek Orthodox church of the town was built in 1842 in late Baroque style.

The Calvinist church of the settlement goes back to the early 17th century, and later, in 1842-44 the church building was enlarged and a tower was also added to it.

In the early 17th century (1618-1638) a single-storey mansion was built in Baktalórántháza, and two centuries later, in the 1840s, it was rebuilt by Count Imre Dégenfeld as an impressive two-storey Classicist building.

Photos:

01. Folk restaurant

02. Degenfeld Mansion

03. Health Centre

04. Liberation Monument

05. Greek Orthodox Church

06. Office

07. Calvinist Church

08. Reguly Primary Schoo

09. Roman Catholic Church

10. Swimming Pool