In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
A pointed shield slendered and party per fess at the base and party per pale in the middle. In the dexter side in field gules a stylised coulter, in sinister in field azure a stylised ploughshare is borne. In the lower part of the shield in field vert an ear of wheat or issuing from a mound. The edge of the shield is trimmed by a narrow line or.
Below the coat-of-arms on a scroll or brisé twofold the motto “Bácsbokod” is borne in sable.
The history of Bácsbokod
The municipality of Bácsbokod is situated 20 kilometres east from river Duna. Its territory is 6393 hectares, a slightly hilly area. The population is 3200, the number of houses is 1100.
“Bácsbokod is situated west from Bácsalmás, under Mátéháza, the successor of village Bököd, named Bikity before 1904. In 1340 the abbot of Czikádor gave the estates of Pog and Bukud (situated in the County of Bodrog) to Töttös as deserted places. Töttös was not to pay rent for 5 years. In 1347 Töttös had an estate named Kerek Beukud, situated probably in the neighbourhood of Bököd. When Töttös died in 1358 he gave the estates, Buked as well, to his daughter, who gave them to her sister-in-laws: Magó and Klára. As they couldn’t agree about the half-estates, they went to court but the Lord Chief Justice postponed their claim in 1366. At that time the name of the village is written as Bukyd. In 1390 the territory was the property of László Bukud Tőttös. In 1394 there was a law suit between Tőttös and his relations, so the Lord Chief of Justice gave Bokod and Pog to the abbot of Czikádor. From a document dated 1395 it is clear that Bukud and Bewkud are names of the same village (only written differently) situated next to Mátéháza. From this it can also be clearly seen that the old Bököd – or more precisely Bükköd – (mentioned several times since 1340), stood in the place of the village named Bikity at the beginning of the 16th century. In 1424, the chapter of Kalocsa examined the acts of tyranny that was carried out by the captain of Szeged and several serfs of Madaras and Bököd on the estate of Mátéháza owned by the Tőtös family. In 1430, the Tőttös family’s farm-bailiff of Szentgyörgy and their men rushed into the estate in Bököd belonging to the Abbey of Czikádor. In 1448 and in 1467 it is the property of the Zsámboki family, then in 1469, as a result of an acceptance as brothers and based on a grant of the king it went over to the Lekcsei Sulyok family. That time a castle could also be found here. In 1482 the Porkoláb family takes its title of nobility from here. At the time of the disaster of Mohács a lot of people died, others went to Gömör according to the legend. To their place Serbians came who distorted the name of Bököd because in the talliage-list of Érsek dated 1542 mentions it as Bigittya. The Turkish defters in the district centre of Baja lists the village of Bikity with 47 houses liable to pay tax in 1580 and 42 in 1590. In 1598 the Serbian population of Biked moved to the Esztergom area. János Kéry got Békéss estate as a grant from the palatine. The registration happened next year. (This time the name of Bikity was written as Békéss, sounding more Hungarian.) In 1658 Palatine Ferencz Wesselényi endowed Bigitt puszta to Pál Serényi. In 1679 Bigitya paid tax to the Archbishop, but in 1700 it was mentioned as a devastated place; although it couldn’t have been totally deserted because soldiers were quartered here in 1721. In 1727 it belonged to the domain in Baja of Czobor. In 1730 it also belonged to the domain of Czobor and first mentioned as puszta (i.e. fields with scattered farmsteads) then as village. In 1751 the village of Bikity made a contract with Grassalkovics, the new landlord, so that the landlord got 400 forints and novenary after the corn, vine, bee, lamb and so on. From the puszta of Tataháza everybody has to give one cock of hay. They didn’t have to pay after the new vineyards for 6 years. Later the village and the domain of Baja belonged to Earl Széchenyi, Earl Viczay Héderváry, then to Earl Bódog Zichy-Ferraris for a while, finally through redemption it became the property of the village in 1862.”