National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Bácsalmás [* ¤]
Click to zoom

Bácsalmás

(The County of Bács-Kiskun)

Kite shield vert erect, base pointed. In dexter chief a sun or in splendour with sixteen rays, in sinister chief a moon increscent argent. In fess and in base, issuing from the sinister an arm vambraced argent, couped, riveted sable, the hand vambraced holding three wheat ears verdured, at a slant to the sinister, all or.

The armour-clad arm is to symbolise the pugnacious past and the borderline position of the settlement, while the three wheat-ears refer to traditional agriculture and the three nationalities united by it. The golden sun is the symbol of the town's development and progress.

The silver crescent signifies that the settlement was first depopulated during the Turkish reign, and it was this period from which onward its history has been possible to trace.

Bácsalmás is situated in the southern part of the county of Bács-Kiskun. During the centuries its name underwent changes several times, depending on the dominant ethnic group, or according to who it was subected to. Among these names Almás, Halmos, Hajmás and Hagymás were the most notable. The settlement was destroyed several times during the Turkish period, then in the war of independence led by Rákóczi. Following this, part of the population that had fled came back to resettle. In addition, new ethnic groups arrived, such as the Slavic Rác group in the 16th century, the Bunyevác group in the 17th century, as well as the Germans in the 18th.

The settlement is also at present inhabited by several nationalities: Hungarians, Germans (Svábs) and Croatians (Bunyevác's). In 1772 Almás received an urbárium (document listing the dues the settlement was to pay to the landlord) by virtue of being a Serbian village subjected to the chamber. In 1808 the local gentry managed to procure for the village the right for organizing nationwide markets from the governor general's council, thus it obtained the rank of market town.

From the second half of the 19th century to 1 April 1962 Bácsalmás was a district centre. It was also in this period that the conditions for bourgeois development were created. The settlement became the centre of the region and was raised to the status of town in 1986.