National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the City of Bábolna [¤]
Click to zoom

Bábolna

(The County of Komárom-Esztergom)

In a shield erect vert with a rounded base a thoroughbred or saliant, harnessed with a saddle and a stirrup or, and caparisoned with a saddle blanket gules. In the upper sinister corner of the chief Bábolna's branding iron or.

The city of Bábolna is situated in the northwestern part of the country, in the county of Komárom-Esztergom, at approximately 100 kilometres to the west of Budapest (the capital), at 25 kilometres to the east of Győr, and five kilometres south of the 94 kilometre mark of the E5 motorway.

In the beginning, the settlement was a farmstead called Bábolna, and used to belong to Bana. In the Middle Ages it was already a village, with its first written mention dated as early as 1268. The settlement's name goes back to that of its one-time owners, the Babunay family. Its church built to honour St George was first mentioned in documents dated 1328. This church was destroyed in 1529. It was in 1635 that Péter Szapáry was put in possession of Bábolna. The settlement was then owned by the Szapáry family for one and a half centuries, until 1789, when Captain Csekonics, on behalf of Emperor Joseph II, bought the village and approximately 3,800 acres of land (mainly pastures) at a price of 450,000 golden forints. By this purchase the Austrian Treasury was able to secure the supply of horses needed by the army.

The history of Bábolna has always been related to horse breeding under state supervision, and even today it is regarded as a stronghold of equestrian traditions and horse breeding. Since at Bábolna's horse stables the best specialists are employed, Arab and English thoroughbreds of excellent quality are raised.

All over Europe, Hungarian horse breeding is acknowledged as outstanding, and the horse stock is so excellent that locally bred horses are readily imported anywhere in the world. Today the Bábolna stud also plays a considerable role in tourism. From its horses of international fame, the most outstanding ones were the racehorses Kincsem and Imperiál, both of which have become almost legendary.

It is first of all the achievements and the products of the local large-scale agricultural plant that have made the name of Bábolna famous. After the second world war the development and propagation of production systems (poultry and pig farming, as well as corn growing) have all contributed to Bábolna's good reputation.

Bábolna has been an independent settlement since 1958, and has lately undergone a considerable change. The puszta has become a city. The number of inhabitants today exceeds 3,800. Local infrastructure is well above the national standard, which is exemplified by the telephone network of direct distance dialling, by cable television and a TV studio. The settlement's new sewage system was established in the spring of 1994.

Health care is provided by a well-equipped specialist clinic and a pharmacy.

The sights of Bábolna include the one time Szapáry Mansion, a listed historic building, which is now the centre of the horse breeding establishment. In the park the oldest acacia to be found in the county can be seen. Under the tree a plaque calls the visitors' attention to Obajan, one of Bábolna's most famous breeding stallions of all times.

On the corner of the city's main square the single-aisled 18th century Catholic church with remarkable furniture is also worth mentioning. It also gives home to annual concerts regularly.

In the park outside the church a monument can be seen, commemorating the horses which died in wartime. It is a work of art by the sculptor Iván Szabó. The inscription on the pedestal reads To the most faithful companion. Below it the great battles from 1789 to 1945 are listed.

A Calvinist chapel, built in 1934, can be found in the park of the mansion.

The building of the one-time Officers' Club on Mészáros Street in the city centre was restored to its original beauty by Bábolna Ltd. It houses an elegant restaurant, a café, as well as separate rooms for various events. The museum introducing visitors to the history of horse breeding at Bábolna is also to be found in the building of the Officers' Club (16 Mészáros Street).

An exhibition illustrating the two-century old history of Arab horse breeding can also be seen in one of the museum's exhibition halls. The visitor is led through the history of local horse breeding from the very beginning( from the charter of the stud written in Latin and German to contemporary sets of harness, all kinds of exhibits are displayed. The other exhibition hall is devoted to horseracing and records: the prizes won at various races by horses having been bred at Bábolna are displayed here. The most valuable ones can be related to the name of Imperiál.The museum is open daily (including Saturdays and Sundays) from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

The Hunters' Museum and the Coach Exhibition managed by the local Bábolna Ltd. are also well worth seeing. Advance booking is necessary in the case of both museums, which can only be visited by groups. (Tel.: 34-369-111). Groups may visit the horsestables and the riding school as well.

The monument commemorating the battle of Bábolna fought on December 29, 1848, is by the road leading to Nagyigmánd, at a distance of 3 kms from the city. The obelisk was erected in 1988.

East of the city, on Csikótelepi Road a nicely laid-out 20-hectare botanical garden can be found, with the memorial sites of the most famous horses.

Bábolna could soon be given a new profile and a new attraction, since 37°C medicinal and 53°C thermal water have been discovered in the area; these potentials will be utilised in the near future.

The patronal festival of the city is held annually in May, on the day of St John of Nepomuc.

The inhabitants' cultural needs are met by a cinema seating 250 and a chamber theatre seating 175; the latter one serves as the venue for theatrical productions and concerts.

From among cultural and leisure activities, playful programmes involving the whole family are especially worth mentioning, usually organised during major holidays such as carnival time, Easter and Christmas. Every spring there is a wine-competition taking place (in February and March), while at the beginning of May (around May Day) the city festival is held, within the framework of which concerts, exhibitions and outdoor sports events are organised.

The chamber orchestras of the county's music schools have joint performances at Bábolna every year.

A fruitful relationship has been established between Bábolna and Sieghartskirchen in Austria, Hidaskürt in Slovakia, and Arden in Denmark.

In the city there is a children's self government (GYÖK), which organises sports events and various camping programmes for local children.

On Midsummer Night (at the end of June) a national GYÖK meeting takes place at Bábolna with a variety of programmes to entertain the participating youth, the representatives of children's self-governments from all over the country and from the partner settlements abroad.

From among the programmes organised by the agricultural plant, the most important ones of international reputation include the annual international parade of Arab stallions held in June, the Bábolna Festival related to August 20th, complete with an international show jumping competition and a folk fair, as well as the specialised agricultural exhibition and fair called Bábolna International Farmers' Days held in September.

E-mail: babolna@mail.matav.hu