In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Baroque shield erect and contoured or. In chief and fess azure three reed maces argent, on both sides they are flanked by a seven-petalled rosette, also or. Base gules and the charge of a human-faced sun rayonnant is borne in the centre of it. Above the shield a five-pointed and verdured nobiliary crown or, its band is decorated with a string of nine pearls azure and gules. In the lower parts of the crown’s two outermost and centrally positioned branches pearls are borne tinctured gules-azure-gules. Mantling on both sides is azure and argent.
The history of the settlement can be described as follows:
The history of Álmosd goes back to the period of the reign of the House of Árpád in Hungarian history. The first authentic written document with the settlement’s name goes back to 1261, although old legends and myths as well as the existence of the crypt under the church attest to the possibility of a much earlier date as the foundation date of the village. The settlement was named after Prince Álmos, father of King Béla II (the Blind). Álmosd is a version of the name ’Álmos’ as complemented with the Latin diminutive suffix ’d’.
The settlement was the property of the Chire family of the Ákos clan in the period prior tp the Mongol invasion of Hungary. The first church of the settlement was built in Romanesque style by the members of the same family and the crypt served as their burial site.
Álmosd is located in Hajdú-Bihar County in eastern Hungary, at a distance of 34 kilometres from Debrecen, the county seat. In the past Álmosd used to belong to Bihar County.
The surrounding area has fertile fields of the highest quality which are covered with black or sandy soil. This latter area is covered with wooded groves and vineyards. The forests originally consisted of oak trees, which had been planted by the Haiduk settlers.
The village’s Calvinist church, as it was observed by archeologists in 1910, was enlarged and rebuilt on three occasions in its history. The crypt represents Romanesque style and it served as burial site for the members of the Árpád Age Chire family.
Due to the outbreak of the first world war the excavations of that period were not completed and the corridor leading to the crypt was once again covered with earth. The stone church tower was built in 1824 from public contributions and it can boast three exceptionally pleasant-sounding bells. The church building and its crypt still await further archeological exploration.
The crenellated stone wall in front of the Calvinist church was declared a historic monument in 1951. It was built after the glorious victory over the Turks at Eger by Castellan István Dobó, since he also had land property in and near the village of Álmosd. The wall was part of the defense system of the Castle of Nagyvárad.
The Kölcsey Memorial House used to be the dwelling place of the poet’s parents. Until the age of six the child Ferenc Kölcsey also resided in this building. In this period he was unsettled by two tragic events. One of these was that due to an accident he lost the sight of his right eye, and the other was the premature and sudden death of his beloved father. Following this tragedy his uncle Samuel and his mother sent him to Debrecen to study at the famous Calvinist school there. He always spent his summer holidays at Álmosd. In 1810 Kölcsey went to Pest and worked as a lawyer’s assistant in the capital for two years. Then he returned and from 1812-15 he ran the Kölcsey estate at Álmosd. The poems written in this period reveal his extreme restlessness. In the same period he wrote lengthy letters to his friends, including Ferenc Kazinczy, a paternal friend. Kazinczy and Kölcsey closely collaborated in order to modernise the Hungarian language.
In April 1815 the Kölcsey estate was divided among the Kölcsey siblings. This is the time when Ferenc and Ádám Kölcsey moved to nearby Cseke, since they also had properties in Szatmár County. In this period Ferenc Kölcsey became an active participant in regional political life and as a newly elected MP he always supported the cause of development and progress. He worked as County Recorder of Szatmár during the 1832-36 parliamentary sessions held in Pozsony..Ferenc Kölcsey died unexpectedly on August 24, 1838. He was buried at Szatmárcseke and a beautiful mausoleum was erected there to commemorate him. Ferenc Kölcsey wrote the lyrics of the Hungarian National Anthem at Cseke on January 22, 1823, and since that time annual celebrations have been held in the village by the members of the Kölcsey Society and the inhabitants of Szatmárcseke.
The village of Álmosd is divided into two parts by the Bagaméri Brook. The southeastern part of the settlement was mostly inhabited by Catholics and this is why a Romanesque-style Greek Orthodox church was built in this part of the village, on Sziget utca. A one-classroom school building was also attached to it. Inside the church two icons from Máriapócs are worth seeing.
The settlement was listed in 1281 under the name of Almas, Almus in 1300, Almos in 1416, and finally, as Almosd in 1461. It had been an ancient estate of the Chyire clan descending from the Ákos clan. Zsigmond Chyre provost had a Gothick brick-church was built in the 15th century, on which the Calvinist church was built later. The building and the churchyard are wurrounded with a thick stone wall, still existing. Owing to Bocskai's memorable battle at Álmosd-Diószeg in 1604 the settlement acquired country-wide renown. It shows the characteristics of a typical serf-village in the time of Ferenc Kölcsey. The famous poet lived in the village between 1812 and 1815.
Der Wappenschild des Dorfes Álmosd
(Die Komitat von Hajdú-Bihar)
Die Ortsbezeichnung war 1281 Almas, 1300 Almus, 1416 Almos, 1461 Almosd. Die Siedlung war ein after Besitz der Sippe Chyre. Im 15. Jahrhundert ließ hier der Propst Zsigmond Chyre eine gotische Ziegelkirche bauen, was später als Grundlage der reformierten Kirche diente. Das Gebäude und der Kirchengarten war von einem dicken Steinmauer umgeben, was auch heute zu sehen ist. Durch die Schlacht von Bocskai im Jahre 1604 in Álmosd-Diószeg wurde der Ort landesweit bekannt. Zur Zeit von Kölcsey zeigte sich Álmosd alks ein typisches Leibeigenendorf. Der berühmte Dichter lebte hier zwischen 1812 und 1815.
1. Calvinist Church
2. Kölcsey Memorial House
3. Catholic Church
5. Miskolczy Mansion
6. The Park of the Miskolczy Mansion
7. Bay Mansion
8. Mayor’s Office
11. Post-Mail Art
12. Joseph Kadar’s Private Collection
13. The Statue of the Anonym Haiduk
14. Memorial of the Battle of Álmosd
15. First World War Memorial
16. Second World War Memorial